Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ready for a *long* Nuggy story? LOCKED MY TODDLER IN THE STUDIO BY HIMSELF.

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:26 PM
  • 72 Replies

Today was like any other Friday; I took my son Roman down with me to the Kenpo studio to clean the mats so he could run around and play while I did my thing. 

As always, I lock the plate glass front door behind us to prevent him from escaping and people off the street from wandering in, and I toss my sunglasses, keys, and cell phone on the front counter before going about my merry way.

I finish up by gathering the trash out of the cans and taking them out back to the dumpster which has a large chain and lock on it. The alley is littered with broken glass, and my son is wearing sandals. I decide to leave him inside instead of figuring out how to maneuver holding him, plus the trashbags, plus fiddling with the padlock and chain and large dumpster lid. 

OKAY!

So I hustle outside with a trash-bag in each hand, and with comedically perfect timing, a gush of wind bursts out of NOWHERE and slams the back door shut!

I freeze. Bag in each hand. My eyes widen, and my mouth makes a silent OH! :O ...I drop the bags where I'm standing and hurry over to the door, frantically trying to open it but realizing that the force of the slam somehow triggered the lock to engage. Oh. my. GOD.

So I rush around the front of the building, patting my pockets ferociously looking for the keys that, remember?
I left on the counter with my cell phone!

I'm trying not to panic as I peek into the front door and see my toddler, still standing by the back door waiting for me. I knock on the glass to get his attention, and he turned around and happily waddle-ran over and began waving and saying "Hi! Hi Mama!" while trying to open the door. :(  

I tell him in a shrill sing-song voice "Mommy be right back, okay????" and I burst into the salon next door and asked the shop owner if she had a phone I could use. She initially said No (lol!) ..and I don't blame her, we're next door to a shelter and the homeless have abused the facilities in these businesses in the past... Anyway, at this point my hair was flying, my eyes were bulging, and my voice had taken on a panic note and I was like "MY NOT-EVEN-TWO-YEAR-OLD SON IS LOCKED IN THE KENPO STUDIO NEXT DOOR AND I NEED TO CALL SOMEONE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!"

I called my husband to have him call his best friend who also has a key to the studio while silently cussing myself out for having to FREAK HIM OUT at work, hang up quickly, and go back outside to play peek-a-boo and distract my son, hoping to keep him in eyesight and calm. I was worried that my husband wouldn't be able to reach our friend, and with no way to call him back or confirm (Cell phone is with the keys!) I decide to call the studio owner, my head instructor with the phone from the fish store on the other side of the business. Awkward. But I tell him the situation and he assures me someone WILL be down to unlock the door and to hang tight.

I hurry back outside and pace in front of the door while alternately playing peek-a-boo and talking to my son to keep him distracted and like a movie, four different cars come screeching into the parking lot from all directions. My husband, his best friend, my head instructor, and his wife.

My son was happy as a clam the entire time and enjoyed the longest game of peek-a-boo ever (25 minutes or so) and I profusely apologized to everyone and vowed to buy a goddamned lanyard or something. :P

THE END!

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CannotCount
by It's Misspelt on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:31 PM
Lol, aw man I'm glad you were able to keep him calm.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM

He started to get annoyed at the very end, thankfully the door was unlocked before we got to that!

Quoting CannotCount: Lol, aw man I'm glad you were able to keep him calm.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM
Oh my gosh! I am glad everything turned out okay. I am sure you were frantic and trying not to show it to the kiddo. I think I would have been insane at that point.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM

and also feeling the dumbest mom in the entire world lol!

Quoting mcginnisc: Oh my gosh! I am glad everything turned out okay. I am sure you were frantic and trying not to show it to the kiddo. I think I would have been insane at that point.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:38 PM
I'm glad he didn't get upset! I imagine you were a wreck!
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM

I've gotten waaaay better at not panicking! I did tear up a little when I peeked in and saw him all alone at the back door, standing there waiting for me to come back inside. Like, awwww buddy! :(((

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'm glad he didn't get upset! I imagine you were a wreck!

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM
We all have those moments every once in a while Nuggy...don't beat yourself up too badly.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

and also feeling the dumbest mom in the entire world lol!

Quoting mcginnisc: Oh my gosh! I am glad everything turned out okay. I am sure you were frantic and trying not to show it to the kiddo. I think I would have been insane at that point.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM
Bwahahaha!!!!!

Sorry, I had to laugh. That must have been soooo nerve-wracking and scary while it was happening. Thank God they came and you got to him before the wails started.

Funny as hell now though.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Nahhh it's been a really long time since I've had a mom fail. It's funny in retrospect but maaan I was really worried at the time!

Quoting mcginnisc: We all have those moments every once in a while Nuggy...don't beat yourself up too badly.
Quoting OwlNuggets:

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM

I would've just DIED if he had gotten upset and I couldn't comfort him! It is totally funny, and I was a due for a mom fail I guess but damn! I hope that NEVER happens again!

Quoting bleumonster: Bwahahaha!!!!! Sorry, I had to laugh. That must have been soooo nerve-wracking and scary while it was happening. Thank God they came and you got to him before the wails started. Funny as hell now though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)