Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I hate myself"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My 17yo son says this and I'm concerned.
He reblogs things that say things like "when adults say 'if your friends jumped off a bridge would you jump too?' like I'd jump off off a bridge for fun I hate myself" "'you're going to hate yourself in the morning if you stay up late' jokes on you I hate myself no matter what"
Around his friends he says he's the worst person he knows/literally trash.
I ask why he says these things and he just shrugs.
His life is not bad. He's an extremely friendly person, helpful, smart. He goes out of his way to be good to people. I don't know what there is to hate about him. I don't know where this is coming from. I thought it just started out of nowhere but after I began hearing it, I went on his Tumblr and he's been reblogging stuff like this for a while.
DH thinks I've invaded his privacy and we need to leave it be. But I am extremely uncomfortable with this. I don't know how to help my baby, but I feel I very much have to.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shannon0527
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:42 PM
I would look into therapy, like yesterday. He may not feel comfortable opening up to you, or rather it would be easier for him to open up to a neutral party.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Therapy. It sounds like he suffers from a distorted self image. 

I went through this as a teen. I was very social, outgoing, friendly...teachers, parents and friends loved me and my mom and dad were fantastic. It didn't matter; when you suffer from depression and a negative perception of yourself, it doesn't matter how good your life is. You also feel guilt and shame because you feel so bad about yourself. My parents didn't believe in therapy at the time and I really could have used it. I ended up channeling the intense feelings in negative ways. 

Don't ignore it. Listen to your mom intuition and get him some help. It could be something else, you never know, but therapy is a great place to start. Be patient; he might resent you for a little bit because he might not want to be there, but hang in there. Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

no such thing as invading his privacy - you have to try to talk to him - what you see as a kid having a good life is a facade.

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think depressed people are depressed because they have a bad life. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM

imalive.org

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2016 at 9:25 AM
Small update - on Sunday I talked to our pastor. He asked to speak with ds, who was not receptive at all. He just shrugged the whole time and didn't really talk.
He's been quiet since. DH still says that I should've just let it be.
The pastor gave me information for a therapist and we have an appointment for Thursday.
TruthSayar
by on Mar. 15, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Mobile Photo

Tell him to look in the mirror every day and tell himself...

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 15, 2016 at 9:31 AM
I would suggest getting him some therapy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 15, 2016 at 9:31 AM
Way to throw him under the bus. He needs neutral ground. Someone he doesn't feel is judging him or will betray his confidence. A pastor has none of those qualities and a teenager knows that. Be He needs a doctor. Not the Lord.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Small update - on Sunday I talked to our pastor. He asked to speak with ds, who was not receptive at all. He just shrugged the whole time and didn't really talk.
He's been quiet since. DH still says that I should've just let it be.
The pastor gave me information for a therapist and we have an appointment for Thursday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 15, 2016 at 9:33 AM

I am one of the friendliest people you will ever meet and no one ever knew how badly I thought of myself. I got help but not until I was in my 30's. I would just try to get him into therapy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)