Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where did my sweet girl go?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a dd who'll turn 6 in July. She's in all-day K and it's a long day. She's on the bus by 7:15 and not off the bus until about 4...but it's been that way all year.

I expect some melt-downs around bedtime, she's tired and 5, I get it, it's normal.

The last week or two though...dear god!

Her teacher called me yesterday to tell me how bad and out of character she's been this past week. Not focusing, being mean to other kids, saying gross things about boogers and ear wax...when I ask her about it she admits most of it, says she doesn't remember some of it, and just says that she doesn't know why she does it.

Here at home, the moment that she hears anything that she doesn't want to hear she loses her mind. I'm talking nuclear meltdown stuff. This evening we went for a walk and I don't even remember what set her off but she lost her ever-loving shit about 1/4 of the way into the walk and was a nightmare for the rest of it. She went in between sulking, screaming, and yelling the entire way home. I stayed calm (something I don't always do) and kept trying to explain to her that she didn't get to make the rules and that she wasn't allowed to talk that way to me. No matter how I spoke to her she would lose it and claim that I was mean, I was yelling, I was hurting her feelings etc. 

When we got home it was more of the same. There was an incident with a penny on the ground and...holy shit...did that ever explode like an atom bomb. We got home and she was screaming like a crazed person about the penny and wouldn't let it go.

I hugged her, reminded her how much I loved her, and told her that she needed to calm down in her room before dinner. When she was (FINALLY) calm enough to listen to me I told her that she needed to think of 3 things that she handled badly, and tell me three things that she could have done better.

After about 10 minutes I went back upstairs and she seemed perfectly fine, like nothing had happened. She had her list of three things, and she was little miss sweetheart...until bedtime...but that's always a shit storm.

So...here I sit, emotionally and mentally exhausted and on the brink of tears. If this is 5, what the fuck is 13 going to be like?

Is this normal behavior? Do I need to take her to a counselor?

I've asked her about bullies/inappropriate behavior at school...ie touching etc and she says no, nothing like that going on. I bathe her every other night and I've never ever seen any sign of anything, and she hasn't become more private about anything. 

I'm at my whit's end and I need to hear from some other moms who may have some constructive things to say.

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jabs54
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandson has been really bad lately too.  Things went pretty well the first half of the year but the last month has been horrible.  My dd is at a loss.  Hope you get some good advice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
It will pass, some kids are like this at 5. My older two were not yet my youngest (almost 6) did go through a similar phase a few months back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds barely survived half day kindergarten. But yeah its pretty normal but a bit extreme. Lay down the law and tell her exactly what the consequences are.

My ds I threaten to take away karate and he's straightened up.
Lebowski98
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Thanks, ladies.

It helps to know that I'm not alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:06 PM
If she's really tired after how about having her be in her room quietly for a little bit after school instead of a walk. She could be getting overstimulated at school.
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so dreading next Sept when dd 4 starts Kindergarten, its all day as well, its going to mess with her a bit, as she has some issues with OSA Obstructional sleep apnea, and another breathing condition, being awake and being physical wears her out pretty fast, so I am sure its going to take sometime for her to get used to.

My now 7 yr old, had hard time halfway through her first yr of kinder at 4, she would fall asleep in class, on the bus and when she got home and have some major meltdowns, but by second yr of Kinder she was alot better and the behaviours stopped!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)