Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids contributing money to the weekend activity

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Dh suggested we start giving the kids a set allowance of 15 dollars. 5 dollars for themselves and 10 dollars towards a fun activity.

We do something fun every weekend and go out to eat multiple times. Stuff we do include; road trips, zoo, farmers market, museums, beach, shopping, camping, etc.

I don't think it's a horrible idea but the kids should have the option to not attend the activity and keep their money right?

They certainly could and we would just take them to a relatives house, which is what we do now if one doesn't want to attend but it's rare.

I just worry say ds(9) for example would want to save up for a video game quickly so he would decline multiple activities so he could get the game quicker.

I don't want them to learn that it's ok to put money ahead of family time.

Dh pointed out that we have no problem splurging and spoiling them on holidays, birthdays, and vacations so there is no reason we need to do it every weekend without them working for it. Not to mention, we have 4 kids so 40 extra bucks would hardly pay for the stuff we do but it's more about the principle.

Opinions?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jamamama00
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds overly complicated to me and like you said, that money won't even put a dent in the true cost of the activity. If anything I think it might have the opposite effect of what is intended in that the children would have an unrealistic idea of how far money can go.
On the flip side I'm not sure why you do so much. It sounds like your husband is getting tired of shelling so much out for these things? I can't imagine blowing and going like that.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM
5 moms liked this
Kids shouldn't have to pay to be a part of a family activity.
okpondlady
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:35 PM

My children are older an in college.  They are 18 and 22.  The only time we do something like this is for New Year's Eve.  They put in money with mine so we can make snacks and get wine coolers, beer, or other alcohol and pop.  If they want something specific like my older DD likes Southern Comfort, she gives me the money and I buy it for her.   We usually get a 6 pack of Mike's Hard Lemonaide, some sort of wine coolers, and  maybe some Corona..  Whatever they want since they are helping pay for it.    

I think your plan is nice but seems overly complicated.  And I know for a fact my younger DD would choose to not go so she could save her money.  

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Susan0805
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM
My kids earn money from doing chores. They get to spend earned money on themselves. We fund family activities.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow: Kids shouldn't have to pay to be a part of a family activity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a bad plan. Family activities are for the parents to pay. And what if the kid wants toys and just ops to do nothing? Great childhood memories of doing nothing to save for a game.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:43 PM
This.

Quoting luckysevenwow: Kids shouldn't have to pay to be a part of a family activity.
GarysGirl85
by Celebrate Life on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM
We had 4 children and we funded family activities and their weekend activities as long as they kept their grades up & did their chores. Our paying for their outings was similar to giving them an allowance but they didn't get money from us to save for anything, they worked for that kind of money starting when they were old enough to rake leaves. Family activities were our responsibility and still are, if we invite our adult children out to eat or to do something we pay for it.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Why would you expect your children to fund family activities? That seems bizarre to me. 

My girls can earn up to $10 per week for chores. If they don't do their chores, they don't get any money. They have to save 1/3, donate 1/3 and spend 1/3 of their money and they can spend it on whatever they want ( within reason considering they are 7 and 10). We would not ever expect them to fund something we are doing as a family. It is our job as parents to do so in our opinion. If I were your children and I would have to fund part of the family outing, I would choose to stay home on principle.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

jjessers
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Why bother giving them the extra if they just have to give it back for family activities ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)