Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leave your 4 month old outside in the cold wind so you can make pizza?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

WTH!?

I just saw a facebook post where the mom said she left her baby outside because it was windy and cold and he liked it and she wanted to make pizza.  She shows a video from the doorway of him sitting in his carseat in the back yard. She doesn't say for how long, but WTH?

Edit:

She commented later that it was about 60 degrees and that he was only out there for a couple hours.  Baby was in a t-shirt and diaper and had a light blanket covering one foot so he was bundled up enough, apparently.  

Comments here indicate that it's totally normal in some cultures to leave a baby outside so nothing is wrong here.

So leaving a baby outside completely alone for a couple hours in 60 degree weather in a t-shirt and diaper is totally fine. However, if you leave your 3 year old outside completley alone for a couple hours in 60 degree weather in a t-shirt and undies people are going to call cps and call you names.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Uhm..... I dunno. My 2 year old love to be almost naked outside on the coldest days... but 4mo... uhm..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Just how "Cold" was it?  Where was the video taken and in what month?

What's cold to you may not be cold to me (or anyone else, for that matter.)

Susan0805
by Susan on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:36 PM
I had a friend from overseas and she had a $1000+ Stroller. It was very common, even in winter for her to leave her sleeping baby in the stroller on the porch (wrapped up in winter of course). We lived in base housing, which is pretty safe. I found the practice strange but to her it was completely normal. Is the girl American?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Depends on culture.  It's very common in Northern European countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21537988

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Outside in her back yard.  It was earlier today- March 11.  Provo, UT.  It's 53 right now.  Someone commented and asked her what the temp. was when he was outside.  She said it was 60 and it was only for about a couple hours. You're right, that's not cold at all where I'm from.  And he did have a light blanket over one foot during the video.  Probably too hot.  I guess he was fine even though she wasn't outside with him and couldn't see him from inside.

Quoting Anonymous 3:  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM

But they bundle them up I thought?  Blankets and hats and stuff.  Or do they set them out in a t-shirt and diaper?

Quoting Anonymous 4:

miracleblues
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Lol my almost 2 year old likes to be butt naked period. If he had it his way hed be butt naked when it's so cold ice cubes would be hanging off his butt. I had to start putting his diapers on backwards do he couldn't get them off. I swear I turn my back long enough to get the boy some grapes and hes butt naked lol

Quoting Anonymous 2: Uhm..... I dunno. My 2 year old love to be almost naked outside on the coldest days... but 4mo... uhm..
maminka-4
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup! I've seen lots of prams on balcony's with infant bundled in a down infant sleeping bag with a hat on snoozing and its chilly out. This was in the Czech Republic.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I did the same, not in the winter months very much, I have a summer and spring babies. Put them in the stroller in the shade and let them sleep in the fresh air.

Quoting Susan0805: I had a friend from overseas and she had a $1000+ Stroller. It was very common, even in winter for her to leave her sleeping baby in the stroller on the porch (wrapped up in winter of course). We lived in base housing, which is pretty safe. I found the practice strange but to her it was completely normal. Is the girl American?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that.  If a child is outside in their own back yard, it should not make any difference in the age.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Outside in her back yard.  It was earlier today- March 11.  Provo, UT.  It's 53 right now.  Someone commented and asked her what the temp. was when he was outside.  She said it was 60 and it was only for about a couple hours. You're right, that's not cold at all where I'm from.  And he did have a light blanket over one foot during the video.  Probably too hot.  I guess he was fine even though she wasn't outside with him and couldn't see him from inside.

Quoting Anonymous 3:  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)