Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does everything need a diagnosis?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
My 8 yr old is a jumping bean. She loves to talk, sing, dance...anything. She never stops moving until she's asleep. It can be hard to take her places because I have to constantly tell her, "don't touch that", "stop running", "watch out for other people", "stay with me", "it's time for your inside voice", etc... She's not bad. She does listen when she's asked to stop, until she forgets and you have to ask her again. She's not defiant, she's polite to people, she's very friendly and makes friends with everyone wherever she goes. I wouldn't call her hyper, but she's very active and impulsive. She is disciplined, I don't let her run around crazy in places. Like if we go out to eat, she's fine sitting at the table. She'll stand up almost like she doesn't even realize she's doing it and I'll say, "cheeks in the seat, girl." And she'll sit down. People tell me all the time I need to get her into theater groups because she has this giant personality.

To me, it's just her personality and I've always loved it.

She has no trouble in school at all. She listens to the teacher, although she does the standing up thing there, too. The teacher just put her in the back so she could stand up if she needed to without disrupting. But she does her work, always makes honor roll, doesn't get in trouble.

I wish my mom would stop telling me to put her on adderall. Just because she's not the type of "well behaved" kid she thinks she should be, doesn't mean there's something wrong with her. There's nothing wrong with her at all.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Not everything does, but some parents can't handle their "spirited" children so they go searching for a solution outside of fixing their shitty parenting skills.
Aquarius_RN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:16 AM
My 7 year old is the opposite, he's very quiet, self-contained, and self-controlled. He never really threw tantrums, he was never a chatterbox, even now he rarely speaks. His kindergarten teacher was convinced he was autistic, as was the counselor at the school. 1st grade teacher thought the same thing.

he's not. He's totally neurotypical, he's just quiet and calm.

Some kids do have diagnoses, some parents just want the attention of having a kid with a diagnosis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:18 AM
Because people need diagnosis to have insurance pay for pills. Pills so they don't have to parent their children. Or so they can get disability rather than working.
blue.butterfly
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:19 AM
A lot of times a diagnosis helps in getting your child services he or she may need like an IEP or therapy. It may even get insurance to pay for said therapy and doctor's appts. It doesn't have to mean anything besides that- a tool to use so your little one gets his or her best shot at life beginning at the essential and very early stages.
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM
That's why parents want a diagnosis? Attention?
Sorry, but I was very happy to get a diagnosis so that I could educate myself and help my kid deal with the difficulties he was experiencing in the best way possible. I couldn't have cared less about anyone's "attention". In fact, I don't go around announcing my child's diagnosis out of respect for his privacy. I don't want or need anyone's attention through my kids.
I'm sure that's why most parents want a diagnosis and are happy to get one.

Quoting Aquarius_RN: My 7 year old is the opposite, he's very quiet, self-contained, and self-controlled. He never really threw tantrums, he was never a chatterbox, even now he rarely speaks. His kindergarten teacher was convinced he was autistic, as was the counselor at the school. 1st grade teacher thought the same thing.

Some kids do have diagnoses, some parents just want the attention of having a kid with a diagnosis.
Aquarius_RN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:24 AM
Yes, some do.

Of course some children truly do need a diagnosis and have a problem, no one is saying that isn't the case.

I know several children who truly do have a problem. Then I know a few who are just ill behaved and have mothers who use their kids' dx to get special attention and treatment.

Quoting momto2boys973: That's why parents want a diagnosis? Attention?
Sorry, but I was very happy to get a diagnosis so that I could educate myself and help my kid deal with the difficulties he was experiencing in the best way possible. I couldn't have cared less about anyone's "attention". In fact, I don't go around announcing my child's diagnosis out of respect for his privacy. I don't want or need anyone's attention through my kids.

Quoting Aquarius_RN: My 7 year old is the opposite, he's very quiet, self-contained, and self-controlled. He never really threw tantrums, he was never a chatterbox, even now he rarely speaks. His kindergarten teacher was convinced he was autistic, as was the counselor at the school. 1st grade teacher thought the same thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that's the vast minority.
And yet... It's the only "reason" you could come up with to answer OPs question.

Quoting Aquarius_RN: Yes, some do.

Of course some children truly do need a diagnosis and have a problem, no one is saying that isn't the case.

I know several children who truly do have a problem. Then I know a few who are just ill behaved and have mothers who use their kids' dx to get special attention and treatment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:28 AM
She sounds like my son, but we had to go the medicine route. :(

He was in 3rd grade with a kindergarten education level. Everything he was doing, was at that level bc he couldn't slow his mind down to retain the information. A few months on the meds, he was right where he needed to be.

I'm hoping that he'll be able to get off the medication soon, but I don't want to risk him failing. I feel like its a double edge sword... but he's still the crazy, goofy self he's always been... with a slightly better sense on self control (he isn't walking out of the classroom anymore) and is getting straight A's, compared to the failing grades, way below average levels from before.

But if it wasn't affecting his education, I'd take him off them in a heartbeat.
Aquarius_RN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:29 AM
In response to her post, yes. She wasn't asking about genuine cases of children who have a problem of one sort or another, she's asking "why does everything need a diagnosis". That's what I responded to.

Quoting momto2boys973: I'm pretty sure that's the vast minority.
And yet... It's the only "reason" you could come up with to answer OPs question.

Quoting Aquarius_RN: Yes, some do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:31 AM

If your daughter is getting good grades and her teacher isn't concerned I wouldn't be either. We did have my son tested after every teacher had a problem with him. He was depressed and ADHD. He was medicated and his grades went from D's and F's to straight A's because he could sit and concentrate.

We never had any benefits for a disability, I didn't think of it as a disability but more of a learning disorder. I researched it and on weekends he was off his meds for the ADHD and during school he took his meds. We also worked on behavior modification. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)