Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let him go?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
My fil asked my 8 year old yesterday if he wanted to come stay with him 8 hours away for 2 weeks during the summer. A little annoyed that it wasn't mentioned to me before he asked him but whatever. He also asked my husband's neices. They are all around my son's age. I'm not sure that i want him to go. He's never been away from me for longer than overnight. The girls tend to ignore him for periods if time while they play dolls or other girly things. I don't know if this makes a difference but this is not his biological family, ds considers dh his father but barely knows dhs father since he only sees him for brief periods of time because he lives 8 hours away. I'm really uncomfortable with ds being 8 hours away if he wants to come home or is uncomfortable being there. Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2016 at 6:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Personally, no.  I'm not ready to be away from my kids for that long... and especially at that distance.

Momeficient
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:30 AM
Yes, I would. I spent every summer, the whole summer, with my grandparents and cousins and they're the best memories of my life. I wouldn't take that away from my kids because I'm not ready to let go.
MeaganP
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:32 AM
I dont see the problem he will have a great time
Lindalou907
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:39 AM

Yes, I would, absolutely, as long as he wanted to go. You can voice your concerns confidentially to your in laws so they can be on the look out for son being excluded, maybe fil can do guy stuff with him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:42 AM
My in laws took my oldest, when he was 5, to Poland for 3 weeks. We live in Florida. I was so nervous, but we took the opportunity to move during that time. Everything went fine.

Although, I wouldn't let it happen now. No matter they aren't my in laws anymore, they are still my childrens relatives. After they got back, I asked my MIL for my son's passport back and she asked why. Like, uh, why not? He's my son... that freaked me out a bit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:46 AM
If FIL can handle having a few young kids around him, and DH is ok, sure, let him enjoy it.
mompam
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:46 AM

I would say he could go for 3 days. Why 2 full weeks? That's too longfor me.

WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM
No, but I'd let him go if it were my father
Supercrazy101
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:56 AM
I'd just say no we can come visit but he's still a bit young to go that far away. Thanks for the offer!
MOM-RN
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM
Yes. Of course. It's important for them to bond with their cousins and grandparents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)