Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Repainting furniture help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I have two dressers that are whitish tinged with gold. I think painting them a pure white color and new drawer pulls would update them quite a bit and make them look a lot better. I plan on sanding them a little bit since the current finish is glossy, priming, and painting. However, I don't want the new paint to have brush strokes and such. I'm debating between a roller and some kind of spray paint.

Any tips on repainting furniture so that it comes out nice and smooth? Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
janedoedoh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM
I repainted old furniture for dd. I sanded everything, and used an oil based paint. The roller I used was a very small foam roller. I'm not sure they even make oil based paint any more. It all turned out beautiful. But that kind of paint takes forever to dry. Days..
LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM
The last thing I painted was 10 years ago and my dad used his air compressor to spray paint it. Turned out nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM
I hadn't thought about an oil based paint. I can see how that might turn out nicer. Although more difficult to work with. I've seen oil based paints for exterior stuff, but I can't remember if I have for interior stuff recently. I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea.

Quoting janedoedoh: I repainted old furniture for dd. I sanded everything, and used an oil based paint. The roller I used was a very small foam roller. I'm not sure they even make oil based paint any more. It all turned out beautiful. But that kind of paint takes forever to dry. Days..
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM
Use a foam roller.
kenoss19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM
I normally use a paint sprayer. It's faster, easier, and doesn't leave streaks or drips.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:43 PM
If I don't have a paint sprayer, what kind should I look for? Are they expensive?

Quoting kenoss19: I normally use a paint sprayer. It's faster, easier, and doesn't leave streaks or drips.
kenoss19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM
You can get one at Lowe's for less than $100.

Quoting Anonymous 1: If I don't have a paint sprayer, what kind should I look for? Are they expensive?

Quoting kenoss19: I normally use a paint sprayer. It's faster, easier, and doesn't leave streaks or drips.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)