Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you be ok with a raise in your taxes for this?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:27 PM
  • 79 Replies
1 mom liked this
If your taxes paid for a university education for a child whose family income is 50k or less?

Yes this is happening in Ontario. Children's whose family make less than 50k a year will have free university tuition. There is a sliding scale of how much the government will pay up to a household income of 80k.
Ontario's current tax is 14% on almost everything.
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM
Interesting. I have mixed feelings. U?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM
3 moms liked this

no why can't they (the students) get jobs and pay for it themselves? They will learn more and treasure the experience more if they are paying for it. 

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
No, if my taxes are paying for school, I want all kids included.
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this

sorry but i disagree. it is not my responsibility to send kids that are not mine through college. i don't know about Canada but here in America we have a pell grant that is offered to people who make under a certain amount of money a year to help with college expenses. 

KiddieRN
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I have mixed feelings as well. I guess it depends on the tax system. I would be very against that model for our tax system where I would be paying for other peoples' kids' education out of my tax dollars while still having to pay for my own kids. I'm tired of being "punished" for having higher income while lower income people are rewarded. We already have pell grants for people in that income bracket.
DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM

No not everyone should go to college.  The people in Ontario can let their legislators know this isn't OK. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM
Are you talking about sales tax?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM
Agreed. I'd happily pay more in taxes if they used that money to lower tuition for everybody.

Quoting B1Bomber: No, if my taxes are paying for school, I want all kids included.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:43 PM
No. def not ok with that. If I have to pay more taxes then it better cover my children as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM
3 moms liked this
I live in Norway. High taxes so everyone can go to uni for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)