Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Broken Window Payment

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM
  • 35 Replies

Last Monday my eight year old son was playing soccer with some friends after school in a park next to the school. He kicked the ball too hard and it went over the fence and broke a window on a house next to the park. He called me, I came to the park and walked him to the house, got his ball back and gave our number to the owner.

The owner contacted us with how much the repair is probably going to cost, $350 since it was a big piece of thick glass in a cut shape and the guy has to hire someone to come put it in, which is going to take a good chunk out of the money my son has been saving from doing chores for neighbors, selling lemonade, etc. I told him sorry, you broke it, you bought it, next time be more careful. He's bummed, but gets it. Have your kids ever put a ball through something accidentally?

by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:10 PM
Yep, Ds and his friend broke a window on our back porch screwing around
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:10 PM
There is no way I would pay $350. You should have let this guys homeowners insurance policy cover the damage. I explicitly told my son if he ever breaks something at someone's house, completely deny it even if you were caught red handed. If no one sees you break it just leave quickly and never say anything.

He knows these rules well and we had to use this strategy when his baseball broke a neighbor's garage window. We do not have the money to waste on this kind of thing
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Did he contact his homeowners first?

Honestly if it was just an accident I'd pay all of it or at least half of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Good job raising a future criminal,

Quoting Anonymous 1: There is no way I would pay $350. You should have let this guys homeowners insurance policy cover the damage. I explicitly told my son if you ever breaks something at someone's house, completely deny it if you were caught otherwise if no one sees you break it just leave quickly and never say anything
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM
Stellar parenting!

Quoting Anonymous 1: There is no way I would pay $350. You should have let this guys homeowners insurance policy cover the damage. I explicitly told my son if he ever breaks something at someone's house, completely deny it even if you were caught red handed. If no one sees you break it just leave quickly and never say anything.

He knows these rules well and we had to use this strategy when his baseball broke a neighbor's garage window. We do not have the money to waste on this kind of thing
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Lmao

Quoting Anonymous 1: There is no way I would pay $350. You should have let this guys homeowners insurance policy cover the damage. I explicitly told my son if he ever breaks something at someone's house, completely deny it even if you were caught red handed. If no one sees you break it just leave quickly and never say anything. He knows these rules well and we had to use this strategy when his baseball broke a neighbor's garage window. We do not have the money to waste on this kind of thing

Chelsey191
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM
It's a good lesson. I'd make mine pay for it as well. He needs to learn accountability and to be mindful of others and their property.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Wow way to teach your kid about personal responsibility. His homeowners probably has a deductible that he would have to pay out of pocket. Kids sometimes need to learn that when you break something it isn't just swept under the rug

Quoting Anonymous 1: There is no way I would pay $350. You should have let this guys homeowners insurance policy cover the damage. I explicitly told my son if he ever breaks something at someone's house, completely deny it even if you were caught red handed. If no one sees you break it just leave quickly and never say anything.

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Why won;t you tell him responsibility for his actions

Quoting Anonymous 1: There is no way I would pay $350. You should have let this guys homeowners insurance policy cover the damage. I explicitly told my son if he ever breaks something at someone's house, completely deny it even if you were caught red handed. If no one sees you break it just leave quickly and never say anything. He knows these rules well and we had to use this strategy when his baseball broke a neighbor's garage window. We do not have the money to waste on this kind of thing

KsAangel25
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:19 PM
My dh fell off his bike and bumped his handle against the trunk of a car. They tried to tell us we owed them $2,000 to repaint the car. It was a 25 year old piece of crap. They threatened us when we didn't just hand over the $. We had to call the cops who went to those crazy people's house. I think the cops let them know they would be lucky to get a couple hundred bucks and of course would have to sue us ect ect. Besides we could press charges against them. So we settled for $200.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)