Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doesn't have to...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I read all these post/responses about people "doesn't have to" do things for others. Yes, your older child doesn't have to babysit yonger kids, but they are family/siblings, why can't he/she help once in a while? Yes, you don't have to help your in-laws, but they raised your DH/DF and probably old, why not help? ETC

My sister is 6 years older than me. She babysat me, and picked me up from school all the time. Now I babysit her DD. My other niece is 16yo and she helped me with my kids since she was around 13-14yo. Didn't kill her. When she was little she stayed with me every vacation(because her parents work full time). Next week is going to be my nephew's birthday. His parents can not afford birthday party right now, so I'm doing it at my house. WE ARE FAMILY AND HELP EACH OTHER EVEN IF WE DON't feel like it.

We don't have to do anything for anyone, but it is a "right/nice" thing to do.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Because the people in here are assholes.
kzoboe
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM

{{{HUGS}}}  I'm so glad there are good folks like you in the world!  Blessings.....

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Because society today only thinks of themselves.

There is no more sense of community, it's really sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM

I agree with helping out to a point.  If it is taken for granted, expected or unappreciated, then I start to have some problems.  If a teenager is asked & agrees to help out, then great.  If they are asked & have other plans, then that's that & you need to find someone else for that day.   I think a lot of it depends on HOW it's asked & handled.  I don't think someone should just expect something automatically because it's family/so&so always did it. 

Momeficient
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM
Some people are just assholes but you get what you give in life.

My little sister is still in high school, I do everything I possibly can for her and expect nothing in return however she's such a great kid that she shows up all the time and offers to babysit so dh and I can have date night instead of going out partying with her friends.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:25 PM
In my house my oldest does "have to" watch her brothers.
I would laugh at anyone who suggested otherwise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:25 PM
This is nice to hear :). She sound like a great kid.

Quoting Momeficient: Some people are just assholes but you get what you give in life.

My little sister is still in high school, I do everything I possibly can for her and expect nothing in return however she's such a great kid that she shows up all the time and offers to babysit so dh and I can have date night instead of going out partying with her friends.
Momeficient
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:28 PM
She really is! I'm so proud of the person she's becoming :)

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is nice to hear :). She sound like a great kid.

Quoting Momeficient: Some people are just assholes but you get what you give in life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM
My sister HAD to babysit me sometimes, and pick me up from school. My father worked full time and my mom was in and out of the hospital. It was and is "normal" for our family to be responsible for one another. Me and my sister always bought clothes for my brother, because he just didn't care how he looked :-). Now we are in our 30's and my brother is 40 and we are super close.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: In my house my oldest does "have to" watch her brothers.
I would laugh at anyone who suggested otherwise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:30 PM
:-) yes they are.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Because the people in here are assholes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)