Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad dreams that you can't shake

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have had terrible nightmares my entire life. I think nightmares are my form of anxiety because I don't really exhibit any outward signs of stress or anxiety otherwise. I'm always just mellow and calm.

Anyway, I often have dreams that may take me days to move past. I had one of those last night. I dreamt that I found my 13 year old son drowned in the bathtub. He was fully dressed and in just enough water to cover his face. I pulled him from the tub by his feet. I could feel the water, his wet clothes, the weight of his lifeless body. I started pushing on his stomach and chest pumping water out of him. My thrusts quickly became full out blows as I frantically screamed at him to "WAKE UP!" and "TALK TO ME!" over and over.

After I woke up, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I've been a mess all day. I keep asking myself if he had been murdered and who would want to hurt him. Why are these questions even running through my head since it was a dream?

I can't get the thought of what he looked like and how I felt out of my head. My dreams have always been so vivid that it's hard to convince my brain that it all was not real.

Does anyone else have vivid nightmares like this?
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:01 PM
I had a similar dream when I was pregnant with Hazel. It was awful
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:02 PM
I have the most ridiculous dreams. They never stick with me more than a few minutes after waking though.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM
Yep. You have to address the underlying issues for them to stop.

When you meditate in complete silence, where does your mind run to? Start there.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:06 PM
I had a recurring nightmare for a few weeks straight. I was at my aunt and uncle's home, a special place to me where I spent most of my childhood summers. My extended family was also there..a family gathering. The beginning of the dream was great because it was my family having a great time. All of a sudden, they're all gone except my dh and my mom. My mom was trying to kill me with a knife. But she was calmly walking toward me and explaining to me very peacefully and "motherly" why she had to kill me. Dh did nothing to help me. Family members randomly would walk through the room and not help me. I would run and hide in a storage building in every dream and I would watch my mom walking toward the building through a Crack in the door and wake up right as she opened the door.
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Pregnancy dreams are so vivid. Dreams seem to be very hormone driven.

Quoting Episkey: I had a similar dream when I was pregnant with Hazel. It was awful
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:11 PM
My husband had a dream twice of me slicing my 3 year Olds hand off and she was laughing in the high chair, he had that twice. But never stuck to him.
by Mrs. Ackles on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:17 PM

I do often and I hate it. The worst was the other night I had one where I walked in on my oldest, standing in a corner. She was sobbing and blood was pouring from her hands. She had peeled off all of the skin from her fingers, down to the bone. 

eta-my nightmares tend to be about the stress or feelings I cant/wont deal with. This one for example, I think, is because Im so afraid of failing her and she wont let me know how to help her. She has always been my quiet one, who when frustrated would sit in a corner, sometimes pull her own hair. We're still having issues with her learning and I just cant figure it out. I feel like Im failing her. 

by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM
I Suffer from nightmares as well. It sucks. Sleeping pills only make it worse.
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:52 PM
I still have occasional nightmares about not getting my son back from my fil or that his dad has taken him. Almost 14 years ago my dil and his girlfriend were supposed to watch my son while we moved. They refused to give him back when my Dh and I went to pick him up. The police said that they had made abuse allegations so the Podunk town cops said that they couldn't do anything. I had to leave not knowing WHEN I would see my son again. The next day we were told that they COULD NOT keep our son from us. My Dh went with my them bil to get my son. On the way home my bil was ranting about what happened and my Dh supposedly was "scared for his life" and jumped out of a MOVING car leaving our 2yr old son behind. Thank god my ex and his family are no longer in our lives. My son hasn't seen his dad since.
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM
I had one where my older son and I were in a dark building and there were men shooting people. My son was injured and I knew he would die and he was in pain so I was begging them to shoot him again so he wouldn't suffer. They did and I could feel him get hit and die and could taste his blood in my mouth. I woke up immediately. It was the most vivid, real dream I've ever had. He was 10 at the time and it was the first time in years and years that I got up to check on him. It was just awful and stayed with me for days.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)