Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ymca

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
No, not the song. Lol. Is anyone a member of the YMCA? I'm thinking about joining, me and my dd. What are the benefits? What kind of things do they do? What kind of activities do they have for kids? Dd is 5, she'll be 6 on Wednesday. We're moving to an area where there's a YMCA right down the street. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, or would it be a waste?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:12 PM
Bump
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:15 PM

I am in Canada so I am sure it is different, but we use it for lo who is 4, we pay $28.28 a month, where she does swimming, dance and gymnastics. Plus drop in centre a few times a week, where its free play for an hr.

My older kids go elsewhere for their activities. Its worth it for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:17 PM

The best thing to do is to go there and ask to take a tour and ask them what kinds of things that they have for children her age. 

We just joined the Y near us because they have a couple of pools for our youngest and exercise equipment so that DH can continue his therapy. There really isn't anything else for her to do but the swimming. 

OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:21 PM
I love it. My son took his swimming lessons there. Anyone can do their classes, but members get a better price. They have different classes all the time, gymnastics, dance, karate, swimming, etc. Theyre always changing. They also offer summer camps or camps during the school breaks which my son has loved when he's gone, but those aren't included in the membership. His after school program is done through the Y as well, they go to the school and run the program on site.

But mainly we use ours for the pool in the fall/winter time. My son loves to swim so it's just something fun for him to do when he can't be outside. I've used the gym a few times, but I'm more of an at home workout person so it's just not my scene.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM
They would give me a tour? I didn't think they would. The one by my old house wasn't big, the one here is huge. I didn't even know they had a pool at them lol I've heard they have summer camps, is that true?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

The best thing to do is to go there and ask to take a tour and ask them what kinds of things that they have for children her age. 

We just joined the Y near us because they have a couple of pools for our youngest and exercise equipment so that DH can continue his therapy. There really isn't anything else for her to do but the swimming. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:24 PM
They offer swimming lessons? That would be great! We had an issue last year at a pool in a hotel we were staying in, she slipped out of her floaty ring and didn't know how to swim. It was terrifying for both of us...

Quoting OxbAbIebxO: I love it. My son took his swimming lessons there. Anyone can do their classes, but members get a better price. They have different classes all the time, gymnastics, dance, karate, swimming, etc. Theyre always changing. They also offer summer camps or camps during the school breaks which my son has loved when he's gone, but those aren't included in the membership. His after school program is done through the Y as well, they go to the school and run the program on site.

But mainly we use ours for the pool in the fall/winter time. My son loves to swim so it's just something fun for him to do when he can't be outside. I've used the gym a few times, but I'm more of an at home workout person so it's just not my scene.
jws120567
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:25 PM

I literally just joined a week ago.  There are all sorts of exercise activities, the gym, the pool, and lots of kid activities, too.  Every Y is different, so you should look up what they have on their website.  Have fun!!!

slw123
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:27 PM

They will give you a tour! They have great programs for the kids, for the adults, and for families. I LOVE the Y and what is does for the community.

Quoting Anonymous 1: They would give me a tour? I didn't think they would. The one by my old house wasn't big, the one here is huge. I didn't even know they had a pool at them lol I've heard they have summer camps, is that true?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM
Yes and they separate them by age and ability which is nice. They can start at the lowest level and graduate all the way to the highest. My son's class was only 3 or 4 people at any given time so that was good. It was an hour one day a week. He did it in the mornings before school when he was in afternoon kindergarten, so maybe that's why the class was so small idk but I liked it!

Quoting Anonymous 1: They offer swimming lessons? That would be great! We had an issue last year at a pool in a hotel we were staying in, she slipped out of her floaty ring and didn't know how to swim. It was terrifying for both of us...

Quoting OxbAbIebxO: I love it. My son took his swimming lessons there. Anyone can do their classes, but members get a better price. They have different classes all the time, gymnastics, dance, karate, swimming, etc. Theyre always changing. They also offer summer camps or camps during the school breaks which my son has loved when he's gone, but those aren't included in the membership. His after school program is done through the Y as well, they go to the school and run the program on site.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM
I'll call them tomorrow after work. Maybe they do a summer camp in my area? I hope so, that would be great!

Quoting slw123:
They will give you a tour! They have great programs for the kids, for the adults, and for families. I LOVE the Y and what is does for the community.

Quoting Anonymous 1: They would give me a tour? I didn't think they would. The one by my old house wasn't big, the one here is huge. I didn't even know they had a pool at them lol I've heard they have summer camps, is that true?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)