• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

guinea pig help please if you have had MULTIPLE guinea pigs I have a question

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM
  • 11 Replies
So I got a guinea pig for my kids. We have a cat, a hamster and now 2 guinea pigs. We got 1 I was reading that they like a companion. We had an adult male that we adopted from petco then the next day we went back and bought another which is younger that the adoptable one we got the day before. When we introduced them in a neutral environment they both made a very loud happy sound. The pet store lady told us the sound was a happy one. They both made the happy sounds when we held them in the store. So at first it was about 5 min of happy sound and then they explored the space. Then about 10 min in the bigger one got on and was humping the little one. Then for hours it kept trying to hump the little one. So finally my husband came home I went to walmart and got another water bottle so I could put the little one in a different cage. Well the humping stopped. I watched them for several hours and they were fine. Now I don't know if I should separate them or they are over whatever dominant territorial thing they were doing. At no point were they fighting or vicious towards each other.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mammacra
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Mobile Photo

This is it the first night I have since added a igloo and a pan with litter at hopes of litter training
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:33 AM
It's just a domination thing. Don't worry about it. They will have occasional fights too. I had two guinea pigs and it turns out they were pregnant so it turned into 8. Had them all for years and even amount siblings this was common practice.
Nice_Dragon
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Are you sure they are the same sex?
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Same thing happened to us. The pet store swore they were the same gender. In October we ended up with three beautiful Guinea pig babies. Your female may be pregnant now.
Mammacra
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Yes :-)

Quoting Nice_Dragon: Are you sure they are the same sex?
halsmommy14
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:41 AM
It's normal. My pigs are brothers and did the same thing
Mammacra
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:41 AM
The bigger on only got a good mount if the other one was the wrong way. So basically it was fucking its face.

Quoting Cajunqueenslsg8: Same thing happened to us. The pet store swore they were the same gender. In October we ended up with three beautiful Guinea pig babies. Your female may be pregnant now.
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM
Lol! Then it may be just be a show of dominance. But, if they are opposite gender, mating is very quick.

Have fun with them. Guinea pigs are awesome. I had to get rid of ours though, because it turns out, I am highly allergic to them. I get asthma like symptoms and if I held them, my skin would itch and burn anywhere they touched me.

Quoting Mammacra: The bigger on only got a good mount if the other one was the wrong way. So basically it was fucking its face.
Quoting Cajunqueenslsg8: Same thing happened to us. The pet store swore they were the same gender. In October we ended up with three beautiful Guinea pig babies. Your female may be pregnant now.
Mammacra
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Mobile Photo

I just want them both to be happy and with the large dog cage they have lots of space and with our super yard gate they get plenty of exercise.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's just a domination thing. Don't worry about it. They will have occasional fights too. I had two guinea pigs and it turns out they were pregnant so it turned into 8. Had them all for years and even amount siblings this was common practice.
Nice_Dragon
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM
We have two girls, they are not humpy lol .
I would cover at least half of the cage with a blanket.
We keep ours in an indoor rabbit hutch and they love having the solid top over them.
Maybe do side by side cages and let out for play time until they bond well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)