• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate hw. I hate projects. ugh

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Someone come tutor this child. Schools out but he has a bunch of school work. Currently working on his book report.

I was going over it and telling him to fix the misspelled words. He's been on "tries" for almost 5 minutes now. Trys. Trese. Tres. Tryes. Tryse.

I want to bang my head against the wall. I plan on printing out the simple sight words and going from there bc his spelling sucks. He couldn't even spell always and he's 10!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Who are you blaming here... Do you work with him on spelling or just expect him to know how to do it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM
I didn't know he doesn't know how to spell. They don't do spelling words and back in kinder, during the sight words, he could spell them.

Quoting sarah824:

Who are you blaming here... Do you work with him on spelling or just expect him to know how to do it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM
Get the program all about spelling. It's inexpensive and teaches spelling rules I didn't even know existed. Plus it doesn't take a lot of time to teach it.
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Get a dictionary, an actual book is preferrable, but an app will do in a pinch.  Have him look up the words he's mispelling.  He can spell "Try", so he'll be able to find that.  "Tries" will be in the same entry.  Keep dong that until he's allowed to type his homework and let autocorrect do most of the heavy lifting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM

*school's

*schoolwork

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM
He is typing. :/

I swear, I feel like he's purposely spelling it wrong, hoping that I'll get mad enough and say screw it, we're not doing it today.

Quoting Rhodin:

Get a dictionary, an actual book is preferrable, but an app will do in a pinch.  Have him look up the words he's mispelling.  He can spell "Try", so he'll be able to find that.  "Tries" will be in the same entry.  Keep dong that until he's allowed to type his homework and let autocorrect do most of the heavy lifting.

ThisMom128
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM
I feel like my 10 year old does this to me.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He is typing. :/

I swear, I feel like he's purposely spelling it wrong, hoping that I'll get mad enough and say screw it, we're not doing it today.

Quoting Rhodin:

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM

But now you know so start working with him instead of getting on here and making fun or being pissed off...

I also don't understand how your kid gets to be 10 without you realizing that he can't spell. Do you not read with him or help him with homework on a regular basis?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I didn't know he doesn't know how to spell. They don't do spelling words and back in kinder, during the sight words, he could spell them.
Quoting sarah824:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM
He's still doing his report. Only hw he has is reading and math. Math is done quickly and ds varies between reading it loud or silently, but he's never had a problem with reading.

Quoting sarah824:

But know you now so start working with him instead of getting on here and making fun or being pissed off...

I also don't understand how your kid gets to be 10 without you realizing that he can't spell. Do you not read with him or help him with homework on a regular basis?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I didn't know he doesn't know how to spell. They don't do spelling words and back in kinder, during the sight words, he could spell them.

Quoting sarah824:

bleumonster
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM
My ds can't spell either. I would be pissed at the school if my kid had homework and projects over spring break.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)