• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When choosing a preschool...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Do you take into consideration your child's opinion of where to go?

We visited a preschool today. I've been looking for a place to enroll my son starting in August. So not right away, but something for him to do to get used to other kids and maybe to encourage his speech a bit more.

I live about a mile from the school and work about 2 miles.

My son loved it so much he wanted to stay today and actually got upset when we had to leave. He kept telling me it was his school. The others we've seen he hasn't really had an opinion on.

To me it was okay. Acceptable. Clean enough, they had the academics id like, and obviously the location is great. And the price was okay. But the toys were old and sun bleached. The facility seemed old. Dated.

The biggest turn off though was I watched a boy hit, push, and pull the hair of a girl that was maybe 15lbs smaller. This was in the middle of our interview. She (the interviewer) got up and talked to the boy for a long time. Back and forth the boy saying no and her trying to ask him nicely to stop hitting. Finally she came back to me. He hit the girl again and the lady told THE GIRL to go play someplace else.

Yeah. It really irked me.

But my son knows that girl from church and by the time we left she he was already showing him around and he was in the mix of things playing with all the kids and loving it there a lot.

Would you pass on the preschool and look for another one? They would be less convenient location wise, 20-30 minute drive. But maybe I'm over reacting and the lady wasn't wrong? Maybe when you have a bully that age it's okay to just remove the victim?

My son is 2. The kids were 3/4. My son doesn't have to start school yet. This is purely because we think it would benefit him. I can keep him with me at work for another year, or even 3.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM
We picked the cheapest place
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:27 AM
Nope. My son is 20 months and got into our preschool of choice for when he's old enough. There's no way I'm relinquishing his slot to get on a waitlist elsewhere.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM

So it's daycare center and not technically a preschool. For preschools, I prefer to use the ones associated with the school district. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM
This one is actually a preschool. Starting age 24mos and for kids up to K4. It followed a curriculum set by our county. It is a part of our school system and funded based on financial need by the school system. So we can get a partial scholarship from our county's board of education for DS to attend if we need it. Which we could qualify for but would t necessarily need.

I was very surprised to learn that they do this.

Starting age 36mos they can either stay there until k4 or attend the public school and go to head start then k4.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

So it's daycare center and not technically a preschool. For preschools, I prefer to use the ones associated with the school district. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:36 AM
Yes. We chose a gymnastics center that has open play so he was familiar with the place. We toured a few and he wasn't liking them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM

That's cool. I kind of wish we one that started that early. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: This one is actually a preschool. Starting age 24mos and for kids up to K4. It followed a curriculum set by our county. It is a part of our school system and funded based on financial need by the school system. So we can get a partial scholarship from our county's board of education for DS to attend if we need it. Which we could qualify for but would t necessarily need. I was very surprised to learn that they do this. Starting age 36mos they can either stay there until k4 or attend the public school and go to head start then k4.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM
It seems like a really good program. I just wasn't loving the way she let the kid push around the girl. But I guess there's only so much she can do.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1: This one is actually a preschool. Starting age 24mos and for kids up to K4. It followed a curriculum set by our county. It is a part of our school system and funded based on financial need by the school system. So we can get a partial scholarship from our county's board of education for DS to attend if we need it. Which we could qualify for but would t necessarily need.

I was very surprised to learn that they do this.

Starting age 36mos they can either stay there until k4 or attend the public school and go to head start then k4.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

fostermommy1
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM

My bigger concern is that it sounds like there was only one teacher in the school.  Is this an actual preschool or is it an in home daycare?  My girls are in a daycare/preschool.  I know that hitting incidents are handled in a simmilar way that you described, they talk to the child causing the problem and try to remove them from the situation.  When that doesn't work they redirect the more compliant child.  It doesn't bother me, it teaches them to remove themselves from situations they do not like. 

We picked our school by default, we were going to enrole them someplace else when we got a call that they were cancelling their infant program so we scrambled and found our current location.  Which we ended up LOVING!  I am so glad we were "forced" to find someplace else.  Our girls are thriving and learning so much and the teachers are fantastic!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM

That's understandable. I just don't have experience with that when visiting preschools for my daughters. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: It seems like a really good program. I just wasn't loving the way she let the kid push around the girl. But I guess there's only so much she can do.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1: This one is actually a preschool. Starting age 24mos and for kids up to K4. It followed a curriculum set by our county. It is a part of our school system and funded based on financial need by the school system. So we can get a partial scholarship from our county's board of education for DS to attend if we need it. Which we could qualify for but would t necessarily need. I was very surprised to learn that they do this. Starting age 36mos they can either stay there until k4 or attend the public school and go to head start then k4.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM
There were 3 ladies there. I was interviewing with the woman who would be teaching my son's class.

Quoting fostermommy1:

My bigger concern is that it sounds like there was only one teacher in the school.  Is this an actual preschool or is it an in home daycare?  My girls are in a daycare/preschool.  I know that hitting incidents are handled in a simmilar way that you described, they talk to the child causing the problem and try to remove them from the situation.  When that doesn't work they redirect the more compliant child.  It doesn't bother me, it teaches them to remove themselves from situations they do not like. 

We picked our school by default, we were going to enrole them someplace else when we got a call that they were cancelling their infant program so we scrambled and found our current location.  Which we ended up LOVING!  I am so glad we were "forced" to find someplace else.  Our girls are thriving and learning so much and the teachers are fantastic!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)