Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sensory issues

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
If a parent told you that their child had sensory issues with foods and because of this, their child could only eat Happy Meals, chips, cheetos, candy, other junk food including popsicles and nothing else, would you believe it was a sensory issue or just a spoiled rotten kid?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Spoiled and unhealthy. Setting the child up for obesity.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:04 PM
There is sensory issues relating to texture and level of flavored/spice but they should definitely find healthier sources.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM

I don't know. I know a girl who is in her 30's with multiple handicaps, and there are only 3 or 4 things she will eat. Her mind is about that of an 18 month old. She will literally starve herself if not given the foods she will eat (to the point of hospitalized on a feeding tube).  There are sensory issues that can be overcome, and then there is her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM
I would believe that the child might have sensory issues, but also that mom (or dad) is not making the right choices for the kid either.
Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM
I would think she is full of it. She caused that. I had a child with food aversions. He could tell the difference between chicken and turkey and notice when I would hide peas on the spoon. That is sensory issue. What her child has is a case of bad parenting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:11 PM

As a Mom of a child with SPD, I wouldn't judge

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM

I would think it was an uneducated and perhaps lazy parent.  Sensory issues are real, but it doesn't have to result in a crap diet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a child with SPD. Sensory issues with texture in food are very common among people with SPD. That being said, my son would not have been allowed to eat a diet like that. The problem is the issues are usually with texture and spice (like pepper, my kid eats hot sauce but hates black pepper). They aren't issues like he can only eat happy meals. That's being a spoiled brat. There is a difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:16 PM
I wouldn't judge. My nephew has autism & sil only eat certain things. My son has sensory issues & will only eat certain things. We're working on it but it takes time.
horcruxnumber8
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM
I'm a mom of a child with SPD too. I do think it's extreme and am wondering why the child isn't getting help for it. There are resources everywhere

Quoting Anonymous 3:

As a Mom of a child with SPD, I wouldn't judge

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)