Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puréed Baby Foods

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
My DD is 6 months old and exclusively breastfed. I waited until the 6 month mark to begin solids, per doctor recommendation. We are now a week into it and I just cannot get my baby to eat any puréed food. She wants nothing to do with it. Any suggestions? At about what age are finger foods usually introduced? I'm hoping I have better luck with that.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:09 PM
I would keep trying eventually she will learn.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM
I've gotten her to take a few bites here and there, but very rarely and she cries and screams, and will usually spit it back out. It's so frustrating. 😫

Quoting owl0210: I would keep trying eventually she will learn.
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM
You can wait until 8 months. You can add your breastmilk into it.
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM
You can do finger foods. My daughter has never and still to this day won't ever eat anything with a puréed or smooth texture, even things like mashed potatoes/grits/pudding. It's pretty weird. At six months old I gave her a piece of steak like the size of a deck of cards so she couldn't choke and she sucked and chewed on that thing until it was just a grey strip of steak jerky. She would only sucks and chew on meat for a while there, but now she eats everything (minus smooth foods).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM
I've tried that breastmilk trick. I put breastmilk into everything I've given her, she still doesn't want it. 😪

Quoting MixedCooke: You can wait until 8 months. You can add your breastmilk into it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM
Look up baby led solids. My kids never did pureed food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:20 PM
It is weird, I agree! I've read about other moms who have had babies that won't touch puréed foods either and skipped straight to finger foods. I'm so nervous about her chocking tho!

Quoting kmeow: You can do finger foods. My daughter has never and still to this day won't ever eat anything with a puréed or smooth texture, even things like mashed potatoes/grits/pudding. It's pretty weird. At six months old I gave her a piece of steak like the size of a deck of cards so she couldn't choke and she sucked and chewed on that thing until it was just a grey strip of steak jerky. She would only sucks and chew on meat for a while there, but now she eats everything (minus smooth foods).
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:20 PM
I've waited 8 months with all of my kids. Introducing them at 6 months means tastes of it not eating a whole jar. My kids really liked butternut squash.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've tried that breastmilk trick. I put breastmilk into everything I've given her, she still doesn't want it. 😪

Quoting MixedCooke: You can wait until 8 months. You can add your breastmilk into it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:21 PM
Will do, thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Look up baby led solids. My kids never did pureed food.
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:22 PM
Pureed foods aren't necessary and don't really teach them how to grasp eating solid foods.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)