• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tablets for toddlers

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
DD turned two today, but we celebrated her birthday over the weekend.

My dad and SM came from out of town, and brought her a Leapfrog Epic tablet. SM had asked me about getting DD a tablet, but I wasn't too sure about DD having one. We don't let DD (or our 8 year old) play on our phones, and she has very limited screen time, as it is.

My dad gave me the gift receipt, but I know that SM will be offended if we take it back. But she'll also be offended if we don't use it ..

Does your toddler have a tablet? Do you have this particular kind of tablet? What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM

My son had a tablet at 2ish. By 3, almost 4 he had his own real tablet, like a cheapo one though from Walmart and then when he turned 5 he got his first and current Ipad. He loves it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM
I got them leap pads at 2 but didn't let the over use them just an hr a day
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM
DS had an iPad in an Otterbox case at that age. It was handy for long car trips and plane rides. Any time I needed to keep him entertained and quiet, really.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM
My 2 year-old doesn't have a tablet of her own. She plays on my Asus or her grandparent's I-Pads sometimes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:01 PM
At two I would go with the nabi. Older (4-5) is when I'd make the switch to the iPad. My family all think I'm ridiculous talking about giving my kid a tablet but I'd rather them break a 300$ iPad mini or 150$ nabi than my 800$ iPhone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM

I wouldn't buy a ridiculous "child" tablet, but we let our almost two year old play with one of our tablets. We're considering buying her a tablet of her own for her birthday. 

Chelsey191
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:05 PM
My son had a leap pad at 2. He loved it! Best thing was they are educational games! He Learnt a lot from his. Besides that they use tablets and computers starting in kindergarten here. Our world uses technology a lot. So it is good that they have a basic understanding going into school. I just limited screen time. It was great for long car rides too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM

we have this one for ds when he was three. now its share between dd who is two. and ds who is now 4...

dd has a toy one but doesnt like it its "screen" isnt real and the buttons  that make up the screen just say names sounds colours etc. they both sometimes watch shows on netflix on my tablet 

msjoecool
by Crissy on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM
Eight got her first tablet when she was three or four. We got her an InnoTab. It was awful. Five had been playing with my old phone since she was two or three. We got both girls Leapfrog LeapPad2. Those were fine but fragile. Then Grandma got Eight a Kindle Fire Kids for her seventh birthday. It was fine but more negatives than positives. This past Christmas I got both girls an iPad Mini 2. Wish I'd done that to begin with.
fostermommy1
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Both of our girls have iPads (2 and 4).  They watch videos, look at pictures and play preschool games.  We limit the time they are allowed to use them each day and they are only allowed to use them in bed on Friday and Saturday night.  There are all kinds of educational games you can get.  

My oldest has a leap pad tablet and broke it almost immedately...my students were using it with her and let her jam a game it and bent one of the connector things, I never could get the leappad people to understand what I needed fixed so I gave up.   Her BM bought it for her when she was 2yo, so we weren't too worried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)