Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 16 mos old enough to understand punishment?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

16 mo LO is VERY whiny when told no or aren't allowed to do what they want. This is driving me nuts. There's little LO can't do, just don't stand on the kitchen chairs (falling from the chair has taught nothing), don't touch plugs, and that's about it. This results in crying, whining, screaming.

It's been going on for months and my main defense is ignoring the tantrum, but I'm wearing thin. LO can go on forever. What I want to do is put LO in their bedroom until the tantrum is over, but is this something a 16 mo old is old enough to understand... that tantrum results in going to their room? And if you have used this method, does it work?

*EDIT* for clarification:

1) I AM NOT asking "is it okay to spank my 16 mo old".

2) My home is 90-99% baby proofed. We have outlet covers, baby gates, cabinet locks, the whole nine. When I mean LO is going for plugs I mean the electronics that are already plugged into the outlet. It's not realistic to unplug every device. And unfortunately my chairs are attached to the kitchen table, they are pull-out stools that don't have a locking mechanism. Basically the very few things LO can't do is what sets off the tantrums. :(

3) Thanks for the advice so far.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:10 PM
Get plug covers, every time they touch a plug you pop their hand and say no. In a day or two they won't touch the plugs, same for the chairs, they stand, you remove them, pop their pamper and say no. In a day or so they will get it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM

You need to get some parenting books from the library TODAY! Learn to redirect and baby proof your home. NOW!

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM
Too young to start punishments
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM
16 months is way too young to understand punishment.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:15 PM
Yes he is old enough to understand.

My 17 month old has decided that throwing whatever he can get ahold of after being told no is okay. It results in being put in the corner. We don't throw when we are angry.

They are trying to show their independence and don't have enough words yet to really talk.

It will work out. Just continue to be patient.

Tell him to knock it off when he knows a fit. I tell my kids to knock it off all the time.
J.Squared
by Mrs. Ackles on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM

tell LO no, then give LO something he/she can have, at this point redirection is the only thing that really works

LisaStiles
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM
What is LO? Loan Officer?
WaterorWine
by Wino on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
No, use redirection. For example, when she's climbing on a chair, get down to her level and say "we can't climb on chairs because we can fall and get hurt" or a "boo boo.

Then say "you CAN climb on these pillows". Make a pillow pile in the living room, or take her outside. Or if you're cooking? Give her a bunch of Tupperware and spoons she can play with and thank her for being a good helper.

Try to baby proof your house. You should have outlet covers, baby gates at the bottom of stairs, and as many dangerous things out of reach as possible.

Toddlers test limits, they have little control over their impulses and it's how they learn. it's tiring but it will only get worse, lol. Just wait until she's two. If you do decide to do timeouts, you can't do it for every little thing- it will not be effective. Save them for serious offenses and at one they should be no more than 1 minute. By the way, a timeout shouldn't be a punishment but a moment for them to get their frustration out and calm down. I started it at 2 and I don't yell or force him in a corner, I put him on his bed, tell him I understand how he feels but he needs to calm down. Sometimes he takes the timeout on his own.
pinktardis
by Pinky on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:17 PM
Little one.

Quoting LisaStiles: What is LO? Loan Officer?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)