Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL ( or SO's mother) question.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about your SO's mom?

Options:

I hate her, we do not get along

I do not like her, but we get along for SO's sake

She's okay.

We get along well, but I don't see her often

We get along well and she's a part of our daily life

Other (comment about it)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 102

View Results

Do you get along with your in laws? Specifically, do you get along with you MIL?

I really, really do not care for my MIL (my DH's birth mom)  

I try, I try so hard not to judge her, and to find something about her I like.

I see her probably 1-2 times a week, sometimes she comes over when DH isn't home, but in my head I just do not like her.

She wasn't even there most of his life. His grandmother had custody of him, and  raised him most of his life.  He knew his mom, she just never stayed around.

She's still a pain, she borrows money, she had a crazy, unstable life, it's just a mess. And I try, I really do, but she sucks.

Just the other day she was here telling some fool story about fighting DH's grandmother for not letting her see the boys. She was actuallu sitting here bragging about it, AND the story she's telling me is from when my poor DH and his brother were 5 and 7, and they had to watch this, and she's bragging about it to me!  
Ugh

Okay, that's just my vent.   I try so hard to tolerate her, and I have never been mean or disrespectful, but good lord she is a hot ass mess of a woman and I wish she wasn't in our lives

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkdaisy8864
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I would be lost without her.

I go hang with her religiously every Saturday and Sunday morning for coffee. She watches our DD for free. She's thoughtful, and sends home yummy food or sweet things she picked up for our kids.

She's just a wonderful person in general.

thatgirlyouknow
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM
We get along. I love my MIL. I call her mom. She raised DH as a single mom until she remarried when he was 16 (at which point she gained a stepson too). So other than whoever DH's stepbrother marries, I'm the closest she's got to a daughter. Even during the time that DH and I spent apart, her and I stayed in contact.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM

I adore my MIL. She is one of my mother's best friends as well as mine. We are very close. I will get to see her in April and I'm thrilled. She is going to China for 2 weeks with us at the end of May too. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:24 PM
I never got to meet her. She passed away a year before I meet my hubby. What I hear about her. She sounds wonderful and wish I had gotten to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM

We get along fairly well and she is absolutely a part of our daily lives. She has some personality traits that bug the absolute shit out of me, but she's a good person, so I do my best to stand my ground but be respectful. I wish DH would stand up to her a little more though.

yo_ho
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM
She is a nice person, just a horrible grandma and doesn't ever really talk to me. We see them maybe 3-4 times a year. Normally they can't be bothered. My oldest flat out asked why we never see them, she said she would change that. Never has.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I'm jealous of all of you right now

OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I love my MIL. She is like a second mom to me and I call her mom often. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM
I haven't had to deal with my MIL since 2002 when both my husband and I cut her off completely.
J.Squared
by Mrs. Ackles on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Love my FiL. DH hates his mom, I agree and we do not have her or most of his family around the kids. 

We only try with my family because they make an effort to see the kids. We dont always get along, and I have to put my foot down with a lot of the things they attempt, but in the end they listen and respect what we decide. 

With that particular person you described, she sounds toxic, I wouldnt want someone like that around my kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)