Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Networking is stupid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I'm looking for a job. A friend of mine knows a woman who works at a place I'd like to work, so I emailed him. He then emailed her, with me cc'ed on the email. He said that I have questions and I'll email her shortly.

I don't have questions. I know exactly what the job is and what it entails. I want her to pass my resume on to the people that matter. 

Can anyone give me pointers on how to word this email? I'm blunt and really bad a BSing.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM

If this is someone in management or HR, you tell her why you are interested in working at the company and what sort of skills you have the would make you a good candidate. Inquire if they are hiring and request to send your CV along for her review.  If this is just an employee of the company, let her know you are interested in applying  and ask if she can put you in touch with the individual who handles recruitment. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:14 PM
You think I can be that blunt? My friend's email was very much if the tone, she (meaning me) wants to talk to you about this type of job. Not she wants you to hire her.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

If this is someone in management or HR, you tell her why you are interested in working at the company and what sort of skills you have the would make you a good candidate. Inquire if they are hiring and request to send your CV along for her review.  If this is just an employee of the company, let her know you are interested in applying  and ask if she can put you in touch with the individual who handles recruitment. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:17 PM

You need to be assertive when speaking with prospective employers.    You essentially are selling yourself.  

Quoting Anonymous 1: You think I can be that blunt? My friend's email was very much if the tone, she (meaning me) wants to talk to you about this type of job. Not she wants you to hire her.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM
Yes, but I also have to not be a presumptuous asshole. This is a friend doing a favor for a mutual friend. He made it seem like I'm asking questions about the job. Blindsiding her with hire me hire me isn't going to get me anywhere.

I'm not emailing HR in response in an ad.

I may not know how to be subtle, but I do know that I have to be subtle.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

You need to be assertive when speaking with prospective employers.  You essentially are selling yourself.  

Quoting Anonymous 1: You think I can be that blunt? My friend's email was very much if the tone, she (meaning me) wants to talk to you about this type of job. Not she wants you to hire her.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM

You are interested in working for this company.  She may have a job available. The conversation you will need to have is not a subtle, beat around the bush, type of conversation.  He has already paved the way so that she is expecting your email.  Be polite, sincere, and assertive.  The worst that will happen is that you are told that they are not hiring or that they are looking for a certain skillset or background that you don't have.  Being presumptuous would be attaching your CV to the email before being invited to send it. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes, but I also have to not be a presumptuous asshole. This is a friend doing a favor for a mutual friend. He made it seem like I'm asking questions about the job. Blindsiding her with hire me hire me isn't going to get me anywhere. I'm not emailing HR in response in an ad. I may not know how to be subtle, but I do know that I have to be subtle.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

You need to be assertive when speaking with prospective employers.  You essentially are selling yourself.  

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:52 PM
A very business savvy friend helped me and I took a different strategy. She told me to ask questions about how that person liked working there and if she knew how the work was for people who have the position that I want.

I did say that I love the experience that I have in that field and I want to continue, but I did not once mention wanting her to get me a job.

The person who helped me said that I needed to be subtle and handle it just right.

It's so fake and all BS, but apparently you need to play the game.

Oh I missed in your initial reply when you asked if this is someone in hr or management. No it's not. Just an employee.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

You are interested in working for this company.  She may have a job available. The conversation you will need to have is not a subtle, beat around the bush, type of conversation.  He has already paved the way so that she is expecting your email.  Be polite, sincere, and assertive.  The worst that will happen is that you are told that they are not hiring or that they are looking for a certain skillset or background that you don't have.  Being presumptuous would be attaching your CV to the email before being invited to send it. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes, but I also have to not be a presumptuous asshole. This is a friend doing a favor for a mutual friend. He made it seem like I'm asking questions about the job. Blindsiding her with hire me hire me isn't going to get me anywhere.

I'm not emailing HR in response in an ad.

I may not know how to be subtle, but I do know that I have to be subtle.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)