Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School/Age question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies

I'm not sure if it works the same in each state/school, but for my kids, you need to be 4 by September 1st, in order to start 4K, 5 by Sept. 1 to start 5k etc.  My DD's birthday is August 22nd and I plan to enroll her in 4K, even though she literally only makes the cut by like 1 week.  However, I am considerig having her do 4K twice, so she's not the youngest in her grade and so it doesn't effect her later on (being literally a year behind others). What are your thoughts? Has anyone else done this?? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM

I considered it very briefly for my son who has a late birthday and was very immature.  But once he got into kindergarten I realized that all the kids were pretty much the same level of maturity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:37 PM

At the younger ages yes...but come middle school I think it'll be way different? 

Quoting slw123:

I considered it very briefly for my son who has a late birthday and was very immature.  But once he got into kindergarten I realized that all the kids were pretty much the same level of maturity.

Episkey
by Dra til helvete on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM

The cut off dates are different everywhere. Here the cut off date is July 31, where my brother started school, the cut off date was Dec 1. His birthday is Nov 15, so he was 4 the first few months of kindergarten.

I think it's fairly common to have kids wait an extra year if they barely make the cut off. It all depends on your child. I think you should have her do 4k, pay attention to how she does, then towards the end of the year decide if you think she's ready for kindergarten.

cbkmom3
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM
I wish my mom had waited with me. When I started school way back in the olden days, kids could start1st grade at 5. My birthday is in November so mom went ahead and started me at 5. I was always the youngest in my class. I graduated at 17 when all the rest were 18.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Very interesting.  I'm not so much worried about the young years, but more so when she gets older.  4K isn't going to show me too much. 

Quoting Episkey:

The cut off dates are different everywhere. Here the cut off date is July 31, where my brother started school, the cut off date was Dec 1. His birthday is Nov 15, so he was 4 the first few months of kindergarten.

I think it's fairly common to have kids wait an extra year if they barely make the cut off. It all depends on your child. I think you should have her do 4k, pay attention to how she does, then towards the end of the year decide if you think she's ready for kindergarten.

OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM
In CT they have to be 5 by December 31st to start kindergarten. My son is an October baby, so he was 4 when he started kindergarten and is one of the youngest in his class. He's in 2nd grade and we haven't had any issues with him keeping up socially, emotionally or academically.
slw123
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Well he's in 5th grade now, getting ready to transition to middle school.  He's already picked his elective and seems ready.  He's still immature on some levels, but his teachers assure me that he's the same as all the other kids.  So we are moving on.  We've done some things over the years to work with him on the things he does that makes him "immature".  He's fidgety and a little impulsive.  We put him in karate to work on his self discipline and it's really making a difference.  Part of his immaturity is also his naivety ....I suppose the other kids will rid him of that soon enough.  We do have an older child, (who is in middle school) so this isn't our first rodeo.  But our daughter was always calm and mature.....she's still pretty naive, that's ok.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

At the younger ages yes...but come middle school I think it'll be way different? 

Quoting slw123:

thatgirlyouknow
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM
I skipped a grade. I liked being the youngest. Before I skipped, I was one of the oldest (with a December birthday).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback...my bithday is June, so I was like 2nd youngest in my grade and I hated it too.  DH said it's stupid to hold her back but he is looking at it for different reasons than me. 

Quoting cbkmom3: I wish my mom had waited with me. When I started school way back in the olden days, kids could start1st grade at 5. My birthday is in November so mom went ahead and started me at 5. I was always the youngest in my class. I graduated at 17 when all the rest were 18.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM

I dont know what 4k is. I'm guessing like a preschool? And 5k is kindergarten? In my state you have to be 5 by Aug 31st or sept 1st. I dont remember which. I dont really see the point of going to the same program twice. I doubt she will be the only one with a birthday that soon before school starts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)