Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O: My dog found a wild rabbit nest

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Does anyone have experience with this? There are three kittens, they seem uninjured except one, who seem to have a small wound on its ear. Their eyes are still closed, so they're obviously very young. I took them away from her and put them back in their nest. We brought both dogs back inside and will not be letting them out unsupervised for as long as necessary.

Is there anything else I should or shouldn't do?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM
Bump
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM
I'm confused.
LisaStiles
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM
Your dog's scent is already all over the nest and most likely the mother will now not return. The baby bunnies will be abandoned and will be eaten by a raccoon, a cat, or some other animal.

By tarnishing the nest with his scent, your dog has essentially already killed the bunnies, so you might as well let your dog finish the job and eat them too.
AvantGardener
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:11 PM

There is nothing else you need to do. The mom will come back. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:11 PM
Are you sure? I looked it up and the page I was looking at said the mother would probably still come back.

Quoting LisaStiles: Your dog's scent is already all over the nest and most likely the mother will now not return. The baby bunnies will be abandoned and will be eaten by a raccoon, a cat, or some other animal.

By tarnishing the nest with his scent, your dog has essentially already killed the bunnies, so you might as well let your dog finish the job and eat them too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM
Is there any way to know she's come back for them?

Quoting AvantGardener:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM
The rabbit will come back for them. If the nest is in ruins she will remove them and place them in a new one. They do not just abodone their babies because a different scent is around- she will probably and most likely be scared and just move them somewhere else.

You can try and put some lettuce or something by the nest and if its moved then you know she came by.
AvantGardener
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Bunnies aren't in the nest for more than a few weeks. Once you see them hoping around by themselves they are self sufficient. Unless something has happened to the mom she will come back. Don't check on them often because it draws attention to the nest and they will likely be hurt or eaten by predators. You can put up little markers so you don't mow it or anything. :) Enjoy your baby bunnies.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Is there any way to know she's come back for them?
Quoting AvantGardener:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM
I was thinking of putting put a wildlife camera I have to take pics overnight. Good or bad idea?

Quoting AvantGardener:

Bunnies aren't in the nest for more than a few weeks. Once you see them hoping around by themselves they are self sufficient. Unless something has happened to the mom she will come back. Don't check on them often because it draws attention to the nest and they will likely be hurt or eaten by predators. You can put up little markers so you don't mow it or anything. :) Enjoy your baby bunnies.

Quoting AvantGardener:

AvantGardener
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM

If you have one I guess. The more you mess with the nest the more danger the bunnies are in. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was thinking of putting put a wildlife camera I have to take pics overnight. Good or bad idea?
Quoting AvantGardener:

Quoting AvantGardener:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)