Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Save Lexi

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Has anyone been following the Save Lexi story out of California?  What do you think?  Here is a link (if it works):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3503460/Girl-six-taken-away-foster-family-five-years-1-5-cent-Native-American-family-white.html

It raises a lot of interesting issues but ultimately I am so sad for this little girl and her foster family. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM

is this the one where dad is like one tenth native so they are taking her to native family..?

NYmama96
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM
Family by marriage not even blood related. They are traumatizing this little girl because she is 1/64 native American

Quoting quinnhenrysmom1:

is this the one where dad is like one tenth native so they are taking her to native family..?

quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM

i get the whole preserving the native tribes but common sense is out the window.'family' can mean anything..

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:27 PM

That's so messed up. Poor girl!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM

She is 1/64th native which I guess means one out of 64 of her great great great great great grandparents was a native.  It's kind of insane.   I have a lot of respect for native people and have seen how they have been oppressed...but this is a bastardization of a law designed to protect them.

Quoting quinnhenrysmom1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM
Holy shit. My grandmother's Native American.... But she keeps trying to pass as white. People think she's Hispanic.

That's a sad situation.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

She is 1/64th native which I guess means one out of 64 of her great great great great great grandparents was a native.  It's kind of insane.   I have a lot of respect for native people and have seen how they have been oppressed...but this is a bastardization of a law designed to protect them.

Quoting quinnhenrysmom1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:50 PM
One out of 64 of her great great great great great grandparents....what!?!?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting quinnhenrysmom1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:52 PM
There's more to the story. Her family has been trying to get her back for years. I was sad when I first read it too, but then I read the less familiar story too, and it made more sense. It's sad when any child has tongoninto foster care, but when you're a foster parent, you know it's only temporary.
.SweetHart.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM
They removed her today
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:56 PM
She has never lived with the family she is going to. They aren't native and aren't even related by blood. Obviously she views the Pages as her family...does that not matter?

Quoting Anonymous 4: There's more to the story. Her family has been trying to get her back for years. I was sad when I first read it too, but then I read the less familiar story too, and it made more sense. It's sad when any child has tongoninto foster care, but when you're a foster parent, you know it's only temporary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)