• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate the education system in this Country...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

My first grader went from excelling in everything, earning "Above Average" and "Excellent" on all of her work. Last year and all of this year. Now the school is hardcore into prepping for their SAT (stanford achievement test) which is next week. We have been working with her every night on her homework and she has been in tears, just bawling her eyes out. She keeps saying she doesn't know how to do it and doesn't want to fail. I'm just at a loss, why are they putting THIS much pressure on first graders? These kids are 6 and 7. It makes me so angry and honestly livid. Seeing her feel this pressured and this upset. I just want to cry and I feel like I have failed her as a parent. We've had to erase tonight's worksheet and have her redo the entire thing 4 times because every answer was wrong. We just can't get her to calm down or concentrate. I had her take a break from it and she said she can't and doesn't have time for a break. I just don't know where this is all coming from.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TriggerQueen
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:03 PM

And by 3rd grade she will hate the constant testing so much that she just won't care. One of many reasons why we won't be attending public schools after this year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM
Private school.
FromAtoZ
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Sadly, unless something changes, it will only continue and she will find herself more frustrated along the way, as well as yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Quoting TriggerQueen:

And by 3rd grade she will hate the constant testing so much that she just won't care. One of many reasons why we won't be attending public schools after this year.

We talked about homeschooling her, but I just don't think I have the patience. I wouldn't want her to suffer for my shortcomings. Homework is stressful enough, I can't imagine trying to teach her :/

PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I am sorry your daughter has to go through this, its just another reason why I am gald to not be an American, our school system does not put so much pressure on young kids!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: Private school.

Lol yeah we are far from able to afford that. We aren't rich and can't afford $30k in private school tuition. We already looked into it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Sadly, unless something changes, it will only continue and she will find herself more frustrated along the way, as well as yourself.

This is my fear. She used to LOVE learning and reading. She would read all day long, she used to come home from school, do her homework and then ask to go read her books. Now, she hasn't read a book that wasn't required for school in about 2 months. I can see her love of learning dying and it makes me sick. I need to figure something out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:09 PM
Need based scholarships are available. If she's that frustrated it's at least worth a shot.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2: Private school.

Lol yeah we are far from able to afford that. We aren't rich and can't afford $30k in private school tuition. We already looked into it.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:09 PM
Wow, that's terrible :( Sorry, Mama. What kinds of testing are they doing in grade 3?? School is so different here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Quoting PartyOfGirls:

I am sorry your daughter has to go through this, its just another reason why I am gald to not be an American, our school system does not put so much pressure on young kids!

I badly want to move to another Country but DH is Military, so we can't... I know, weird mindset for a Military spouse. His job though, not mine or my choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)