Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog behavior?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:27 PM
  • 20 Replies
Ok to make this story shorter, I am rent to own buying a house from my much older sister, between me and her, no bank involved. Me, her, my kids, and her older kids will share the house for about 5 years while I make payments and her kids work on getting their own places. She's keeping the money from me to move down south in 5 years. It's working out for us. Anyway.

So my nephew is 20 and has 1yo Husky. He will rin to the door ans greet me if hes out when i come in.The dog will sometimrs chew on my hands when he is playing, it hurts a bit but no marks and I don't bleed. But today i just came in from the doctor, he was also chewing my ear and licking it kind of and it felt like he was trying to get my earrings off. He defintitely had hold of the earring studs. The other thing he does is he takes one shoe from every pair I own, and 90% of the time it's only my shoes.

So is he trying to show that he likes me? Or rather that he dislikes me? The dog let's me hug him and I taught him as a puppy to hug my waist if I'm standing or hug my shoulders if I'm sitting . But the biting on me is confusing. Sorry to sound like a ditz but I've never owned a dog and neither did any of us til nephew brought this one home so I know nothing of their behavior.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xixCandyxix
by Candy on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:29 PM
Not that it is even relevant but I'm only paying towards the house because it was our grandmas, and shares a yard with my brother, and I didn't want to see grandma's house go outside the family when my sis moves to NC in a few years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM
Sounds like he's trying to show you he's the dominant one.
ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:36 PM

this is what i was thinking too

Quoting Anonymous 1: Sounds like he's trying to show you he's the dominant one.

xixCandyxix
by Candy on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM
I am very confused by this answer, because I'm the only female this dog listens to and isn't downright nasty to. Hell he hates walking up the stairs but will do it for me. Plus I can take things out of his mouth and NOT get bitten to the point of blood, like he would usually do. Maybe he senses I have authority and he does not like it?

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

this is what i was thinking too

Quoting Anonymous 1: Sounds like he's trying to show you he's the dominant one.

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:45 PM
He's marking you as his territory, displaying his dominance over you. Stop being bullied by a dog. Now go watch an episode of The Dog Whisperer to figure out how to correct your behavior around the dog.
KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:48 PM
He sees you as lower in the pack then him and/or he has not been taught manners.

Whenever, he puts his mouth on you whether it hurts or not say " ouch". You don't need to yell but make it sound like it hurt and be consistent. He will learn to have a softer mouth and eventually won't put his mouth on you at all.

If he jumps on you turn you back to him, don't give him attention, don't talk, touch or make eye contact. In fact, I would not acknowledge him at all if he greets you excitedly.

As far as you shoes the easiest thing to do is to put the shoes where the dog can't get to them.
xixCandyxix
by Candy on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:53 PM
He is being soft with his mouth. I'm the only person aside from his owner that can get away with sticking their hands in his mouth, especially if taking something he's chewing on, he draws blood on anyone else that fucks with him.

Everyone agrees he doesn't know his manners cause nephew won't teach him, but he's not my dog to load into a car and take to classes.

Quoting KyliesMom5: He sees you as lower in the pack then him and/or he has not been taught manners.

Whenever, he puts his mouth on you whether it hurts or not say " ouch". You don't need to yell but make it sound like it hurt and be consistent. He will learn to have a softer mouth and eventually won't put his mouth on you at all.

If he jumps on you turn you back to him, don't give him attention, don't talk, touch or make eye contact. In fact, I would not acknowledge him at all if he greets you excitedly.

As far as you shoes the easiest thing to do is to put the shoes where the dog can't get to them.
jabs54
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM

You need to squeal when he bites you if you aren't already doing that.  Any time a dog jumps on you you need to turn your back on them and don't give them any attention.  Wrapping his legs around you may be a sign of dominance.  That's what they would do to other dogs.  Since you said he won't let anyone else take something away from him he really needs to have professional training.  He clearly thinks he is "leader of the pack".  I would really worry having a dog like that around children.

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Quoting xixCandyxix: He is being soft with his mouth. I'm the only person aside from his owner that can get away with sticking their hands in his mouth, especially if taking something he's chewing on, he draws blood on anyone else that fucks with him. Everyone agrees he doesn't know his manners cause nephew won't teach him, but he's not my dog to load into a car and take to classes.
Quoting KyliesMom5: He sees you as lower in the pack then him and/or he has not been taught manners. Whenever, he puts his mouth on you whether it hurts or not say " ouch". You don't need to yell but make it sound like it hurt and be consistent. He will learn to have a softer mouth and eventually won't put his mouth on you at all. If he jumps on you turn you back to him, don't give him attention, don't talk, touch or make eye contact. In fact, I would not acknowledge him at all if he greets you excitedly. As far as you shoes the easiest thing to do is to put the shoes where the dog can't get to them.

You said in your original post IT HURTS A BIT.

KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:08 PM
You don't have to take him to a class to train him. And even if he does have a soft mouth he is still being rude by putting his mouth on you. If you want him to stop doing these things then these are a few things you can do to stop the behaviors you mentioned.

Quoting xixCandyxix: He is being soft with his mouth. I'm the only person aside from his owner that can get away with sticking their hands in his mouth, especially if taking something he's chewing on, he draws blood on anyone else that fucks with him.

Everyone agrees he doesn't know his manners cause nephew won't teach him, but he's not my dog to load into a car and take to classes.

Quoting KyliesMom5: He sees you as lower in the pack then him and/or he has not been taught manners.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)