Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you cant trust an 18 year old to stay home alone for a night then you have done something wrong....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

My SIL said she wasnt going to be able to make it to our family camping trip because her son had to work that day and he couldnt go either. I was really confused at first. I asked her why and she said she cant trust him to stay home alone for a night...

I was shocked. I stopped asking her questions figuring that there must be a really big reason why and I didnt want to interrogate her or anything

I asked my brother about it a little later. He said that he is a good kid but SIL doesnt want him to stay home alone overnight because she worries. I looked at him like he was crazy and he said "I know it's a little weird" 

I cant believe it. How can you raise a child to adulthood and not be able to leave them home for one night? I understand if there is an extreme circumstance involved but a normal 18 year old should be able to spend a night alone. 

I honestly think that if you cant trust your kid for one night you have done something very very wrong. They are adults at that point. How are they supposed to go to university if they cant even spend a night away from you?

Am I the only one?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theboyfactory
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM
I would figure they have their reasons. It wouldn't matter to me.
LacinyC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM
It depends on the teen...i guess
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM
I can hear the blades turning from here. Jeebus
A_McCool
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM

That is insane.  

TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM

There may be issues that your brother didn't want to mention.

But if there were absolutely no troublesome past behaviors, I largely agree with you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM
Depends on the kid.
FromAtoZ
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like Mom has the issue, not her son.

PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM

I agree.

Hell I moved out at 15 yrs old, and was a live in babysitter and then moved again with a different family for the samething at 16 1/2 and then back home for a few months before getting my own place and was raising my own kid just before 19 yrs old. Some parents are overly protective and do not give their kids much credit at all.

My oldest mind you does not stay home all night alone but can all day at 13 and she is considerd SN. She does stay all night with her 2 cousins alone and they are 14 and 17 yrs old. Even my 7 yr old sometimes goes for the night when my Aunt is at work night shift and its just them. lol

At 18 they are grown adults and should be treated as such!

jamamama00
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM
I had a party at that age and something like three hundred kids got busted for drinking underage. But yeah they were realllllly bad at keeping me under control so I agree with you. My kids would be fine.
purplerobin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Uhm....an 18 year old is an ADULT.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Depends on the kid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)