• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long do I have to pay for these 'dates' and rides for my teen son?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
Another post got me thinking. My son is 15. He has went on a few dates like movies and school dances. Since he is the boy he asks me for money to pay and pick up and drive home the girl. I do it because my son is very well behaved and doesn't ask for much. He is not old enough for a job at fast food yet. I just feel like I have to do this since he is the boy asking the girl. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LisaStiles
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM
Time for the s-o-n to get a j-o-b

Quoting Anonymous 1: Another post got me thinking. My son is 15. He has went on a few dates like movies and school dances. Since he is the boy he asks me for money to pay and pick up and drive home the girl. I do it because my son is very well behaved and doesn't ask for much. He is not old enough for a job at fast food yet. I just feel like I have to do this since he is the boy asking the girl. Thoughts?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM
5 moms liked this
He shouldn't date until he has the ability to pay for his dates.
dandynorm
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Give him chores so he can earn money. He can use his chore money to pay for dates. As for giving him rides, you can charge gas money. Or you could just keep doing that part for free.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM
I had a part time job at 14. He's old enough to work, even if you have to get a permit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM
Your son needs to earn that money somehow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM

You don't have to do it at all. He wants to go out with a girl he should find a way make a few buck to do it. He may not be able to work at a business but he's not to young to start his own business. He can mow lawns, do chores, etc to earn a bit of cash. It's nice you are helping him out but you don't have to do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM
What job? The places here like grocery store and McDonald's you have to be 16. He is 15.

Quoting LisaStiles: Time for the s-o-n to get a j-o-b

Quoting Anonymous 1: Another post got me thinking. My son is 15. He has went on a few dates like movies and school dances. Since he is the boy he asks me for money to pay and pick up and drive home the girl. I do it because my son is very well behaved and doesn't ask for much. He is not old enough for a job at fast food yet. I just feel like I have to do this since he is the boy asking the girl. Thoughts?
alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM

He should be earning money by doing extra chores around the house. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM
Why not make him do chores? Or see if he can do yard work for a neighbor to make some money. There's lots of ways young teens save money for dates. Ever since I was 12 I've paid my own way when I went out.
jamamama00
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:29 PM
I plan to raise my son to take care of women, so I'm sure I would do the same thing within reason.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)