• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd signed up for all this today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 122 Replies
1 mom liked this
For next year, her freshman year of high school:

honors English, honors algebra 2, AP environmental science, Spanish 1, PE, honors world geography

I told her we would be changing some of those. I'm not saying my child isn't bright, but she's not the scholarly type and never has been. I still have to get on her about doing homework and studying for tests. Those courses will be way too much.

So now she's miffed at me.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LisaStiles
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this
Get off her ass Mom. She is trying to better herself with challenging courses.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:29 PM

My mom tried to talk me out of taking 4 APs my junior year. I had to have one of my teachers convince her it was fine. 

I took 11 total (1 soph year, 4 junior, 6 senior). I passed all of them and did well in all of the classes.

Your daughter's schedule seems fine to me. Is her school hard?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not let her try the harder courses?  She can always drop the classes and go into regular classes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:31 PM
6 moms liked this
Now she just thinks you don't believe in her. That's not good parenting, imo. You are supposed to let her try and encourage her. It's her freshman year, let her figure out herself if she can handle it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:31 PM
She's trying to be cool because those are what her two friends signed up for and she wants to be in class with them.

I still have to remind her to brush her hair and put on deodorant. She's very disorganized. She's got lots of potential but she hasn't matured quite yet. She would be in way over her head.

Quoting LisaStiles: Get off her ass Mom. She is trying to better herself with challenging courses.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM
My son did the same thing his Jr. Year. Crazy schedule and difficult. He had never taken an ap class before. It was rough, but he did fine.
NYmama96
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM
Maybe she is bored with the regular classes. Let her do it she feels she can let her.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
If they allow her to sign up for those classes, she qualifies for them. Leave her alone and ket her make these choices. Just stop getting on her about homework, thats her responsibility.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Most high school Freshmen still need to be reminded about homework and tests if only to keep them motivated and on track. That is part of parenting. I leave 95% of it up to my kids but I still check in, remind, ask, and check grades. 

It sounds like she is working to better herself and towards college prep. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:34 PM
She's not bored. She has a hard time keeping up with 8th grade homework and tests as it is.

Quoting NYmama96: Maybe she is bored with the regular classes. Let her do it she feels she can let her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)