Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Don't Think I Will Be Eating Out With My Family Anymore

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a little miffed. This weekend was my father's 60th birthday. We told my parents that we would take them out for dinner at my father's favorite steakhouse, no big deal. Well, my sisters both invited themselves and their families along and then stuck us with the bill. They literally got up and left so that we were stuck with it. We didn't even know that they were coming, so there was no talk beforehand about it. I don't know why I am so pissed, but we were not planning to spend that much. It was supposed to be my parents, dh, me and the kids. We ended up paying for all of us plus both sisters, one sister's boyfriend, and five kids between them. 

Who the hell does that? It makes me never want to go out with any of them again. I'm glad we have enough money to cover it, but I get so tired of us having to foot the bill for these things. We are almost always the one to host family dinners and they will bring either nothing or something small and never stay to help clean up. It's not like they can't afford it, either. They all have decent jobs and make good enough money that they can pay their own way. I am just so pissed.

Sorry, just a rant.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have gave the restaurant thier information, addresses and all. I'm assuming they had thier own table or did everyone sit together?
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:14 PM
3 moms liked this
I would call them and tell them you expect the money for their share of the bill by the weekend
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Why didn't you say something when you were seated so that the server knew to split the check?  I would think they'd have gotten the hint at that point, but you really should have been up front and said from the getgo that you were paying for mom and dad, and if they wanted to come they were paying their own way.

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM
I would have told the waitress that it wasn't my responsibility, but I wouldn't have let them leave without making that clear.
Saying that...knowing their history, did you make it clear that you weren't covering their tab, or tell the waitress, when they showed up?
Kaelee1
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM

I don't blame you. Have you thought about calling them and asking why they didn't pay their portion?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
If they ever show up again speak up at the beginning and tell the server that they are on a separate bill. That should give them the hint.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM
I would probably be annoyed, but I don't think there's anything you can really do about it at this point.
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Honestly, I'd let it go and take it as an expensive lesson learned. 

quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:17 PM

uh..tell the waitress separate checks..as soon as they 'invite themselves'..

Jadegirl1819
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't at least tell them that they are asshats then it is going to keep happening.  They think you are okay with it if you just pay and say nothing.

At least next time you can tell the server that you will be paying for your parents, Dh, and your kids.  That would be a passive way of telling your siblings that your finished footing their bill

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)