Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child removed from home because she's 1/64th Native American

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM
  • 191 Replies

saw this on my 'trending'......i'm kinda horrified, tbh.  the video of her mom and siblings sobbing as she's taken away is heartbreaking.  and YES, as the person who's raised her for 4 years, THAT'S HER MOM.  and why?  because she's 1/64th Native American. 

click me

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM
I think it's horrible. This poor girl must be so scared.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:17 PM

It's disgusting. The people having her taken away are pigs.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM
I think it's terrible and so sad!
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM
The photos of her family crying this morning and the statement they released made me so sad for them, and Lexi.

I just hope her bio family does the right thing for her which is to return her to the only family she knows.
MissMackiesgg
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:19 PM

The people they took custody of her are not native either. Well by marriage only.

ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The Native American community does this quote often actually, more commonly in custody disputes.
halsmommy14
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

i claim ignorance so don't jump all over me but can someone explain how this can even happen?  my understanding is that you can't even be considered part of a specific 'tribe' unless you're like 1/2 or 1/4 Native American correct?  and you can't qualify for things such as scholorships and such unless your of a certain percentage?

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
That's why I would never adopt a NA child.
halsmommy14
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM

links?  i only posted basically the first link i saw on my trending.  i always assume that there's 2 sides but watching the video of her mom sobbing and trying to go after her was so sad.

redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM
3 moms liked this
I want to know the back story. Who messed up, Dshs or the tribe? Did Dshs do what they were supposed to as far as alerting the tribe or did the tribe just now decide to take on the case? Did Dshs try to find suitable family even if they were out of state or did they just shove her in foster care?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)