• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

alcoholism

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM
  • 23 Replies
My close friend has turned to me a lot of times and said that she wants to stop drinking and also smoking tobacco. Each time, she does great with a week or two and then she goes right back and wants to start over. She wants advice that I cant offer. I only encourage her and support her each time she starts over.

I love my friend very much and I want to keep supporting her but is there anything I should bedoing differently? Any advice I should be giving her?

Thanks in advance.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM
S her drinking impacting her life? Relationships? Is she putting herself or others at risk?
Devilish_One
by Princess of Darkness on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:24 PM
If she really wants to she will.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM
Be frank and tell her you can't help her. This is something only she can do. Offer get the times and locations of al-anon meetings near her.
KickingWing
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:26 PM
She says shes functioning but she doesnt want to socialize besidss at work. Shes invited everywhere but makes excuses.

Quoting SueWanda: S her drinking impacting her life? Relationships? Is she putting herself or others at risk?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:26 PM
I'd go to an AA meeting with her. Won't help at all with the smoking though.
lalalamama
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:28 PM
AA. She needs to look them up.
You can't help her. You can only support her by encouraging her to seek help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Tell her to go to therapy or AA. You are her friend and want to help but you don't know how to help beyond telling her you love and support her. She will do better talking with people that know what it's like to be an addict or at least has training. Besides it will help her to talk to people that are not part of her everyday life so she can share the stuff that she can't/shouldn't share in her everyday life. Ultimately it's up to her find the courage to not give into the urges and to find the motivation to keep seeking that courage day after day. Nothing you tell her will make her stop until she is ready.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM

my only advice? send her to rehab.not being rude or mean in any way. its the only way my mom is getting help, she tried everything but ended up binge drinking after not drinking for a couple weeks

KickingWing
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:31 PM
The other day she was very upset and told me she wished she could go to rehab but she didnt want to leave her children.

Quoting lalalamama: AA. She needs to look them up.
You can't help her. You can only support her by encouraging her to seek help.
KickingWing
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:33 PM
She has spoken several times about rehab but obviously never went. Shes very aware of her problem but it seems like something keeps her holding back.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Tell her to go to therapy or AA. You are her friend and want to help but you don't know how to help beyond telling her you love and support her. She will do better talking with people that know what it's like to be an addict or at least has training. Besides it will help her to talk to people that are not part of her everyday life so she can share the stuff that she can't/shouldn't share in her everyday life. Ultimately it's up to her find the courage to not give into the urges and to find the motivation to keep seeking that courage day after day. Nothing you tell her will make her stop until she is ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)