• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't like this. Vent

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:54 PM
  • 11 Replies
As a lot of you know, I had my daughter last October. I still live with my parents. When I got pregnant, my mom actually told me not to get a job but I felt guilty not contributing, so I got one anyways. She wanted my focus on the baby and school (I am in college). I assured her I could do it.

I took last semester off of school and I started again in January. I have been doing well academically, but holy crap was that stressful. I felt like I was going to go insane trying to balance everything. Seeing that, my parents suggested I quit my job. I took that advice.

The thing is, I got used to being able to feel somewhat self-sufficient and competent. Now I just feel like a moocher and like I need to be doing more. I don't even know. They have never made me feel this way, it's just my own guilt. They have assured me they can afford it. I feel so overwhelmed still.

There's not much of a point to this. I'll probably delete it. I'm just rambling. Maybe I'll look for a work study job where I can work 5 hours a week.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Being a parent means sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the good of the child. Looking at the big picture, this is just a small time of her life. Sacrifice your pride and work your butt off at school. Someday, when you have a good career, you can do something nice for your parents.
young_lv_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this
How about trading services. Clean so much of the house a week in trade for pay, that way you don't feel like your just using them. But if they are willing to help, let them for now. Soon you will be working full time and right now you have a little one that you get to spend time with. Take it and good luck.
jamamama00
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:02 PM
My family had money set aside for me to finish college and they planned on supporting me through that time from the moment I was born. I will do the same for my kids. Whether they had a child or not wouldn't change that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:18 PM
Ppd?
Corabe
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:20 PM

This is a great idea, is there anything you can do in the home?  Cleaning, upkeep?

Quoting young_lv_mom: How about trading services. Clean so much of the house a week in trade for pay, that way you don't feel like your just using them. But if they are willing to help, let them for now. Soon you will be working full time and right now you have a little one that you get to spend time with. Take it and good luck.

Fuzzy.Tendrils
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Your parents want to help you so that in the future you really can do it on your own without having to be overwhelmed in the process. Let them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:28 PM
help around the house, and I can honestly say that work study jobs ROCK. Do what you can, but they are trying to make sure you have an education so that when you are done with school you can have a job worth your efforts. Hug them, a lot. They are being special, wonderful parents and they deserve those hugs!

Don't feel like a moocher, you ARE working hard. You are a mother and a student, and both are hard work. They are helping, but there are loads of ways to help them back without over stressing and over reaching yourself!
XchaosXx
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:29 PM
Message me if you need to talk. I've been in similar circumstances.

I'd take the first ladies advice, work your ass off in school and help your parents when they need it when they're older.

Do as much around the house if you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dannygirl25
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM
If you can manage a job and school while being a mom then do it
Do NOT let anyone tell you what you can and can't do!. This you and your babys future.
BirdE.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Damn, girl, live it up! My in laws invited us to move in and it sounded like we were going to be a big happy family and now, because none of dh's applications have lead to work and there's step kid tension they HATE us. I would kill to be in your shoes! Just chill and stare at your baby's wonderful, tiny, sleeping face that you actually have the opportunity to just relax and enjoy right now! If you work now you can never get this time back, but I doubt you will be eternally wracked with guilt because your parents said you could just focus on school and your baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)