Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MC offers me daily exposure to different people, in different places, with different ideas, AND I LOVE IT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

I'm from the Midwest and never lived outside my home state. It's pretty pathetic, but it is what it is.  I've never been very well off and we do "big" vacations about once every 2-3 years, and we've vacationed mostly in neighboring states

(But I've seen Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Iowa, Michigan, Florida, Washington State, California, and Texas). Most of my money goes to savings, not travel.  I'm about lower middle class.

I'm in my 30's, so for the most part the internet in general has exposed me to people and ideas I might never have gotten to know, and been doings so for years, but I LOVE that I get to chat with moms from other states, and even other countries here in MC (and other social media sites) on a daily basis.

Some of the most interesting posts and discussions I've seen are with moms from outside the US that can offer an entirely new perspective on things.  I mean a biscuit is a cookie?!?!  Hold on, you mean to tell me America isn't the center of the universe?  There's no cheerleaders where you live? WHERE ARE YOUR GUNS?!?! ARENT YOU TERRIFIED WITHOUT YOUR GUNS?!?!  Growing my own food, or eating "free range" meat, that's somehow in fashion?  

I can't get over how lucky I am to have this exposure to so many different people, be my norm.  

Yes, in America we're extremely diverse, and there's no shortage of differing opinions, religions, ethnic backgrounds, etc, but there's just something about getting to have daily discussions with someone from a whole other culture. America can be surprisingly diverse region to region.

Now, for those of you in NY, or bigger cities that are more diverse, or for those of you that have traveled a lot, this post might seem really lame and juvenile.  You might just be scrolling through this shaking your head at my country ass,  but it just occurred to me this morning and I wanted to share

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Race Mom on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM
It gets interesting sometimes to say the least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaeMommy07
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM
Likewise for me :) I like learning about America and differences and similarities between America and my country!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM
I love cafemom, it's my only source of social media, besides Pinterest!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Where are you from ?

Quoting JaeMommy07: Likewise for me :) I like learning about America and differences and similarities between America and my country!

JaeMommy07
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:08 AM
Norway

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Where are you from ?

Quoting JaeMommy07: Likewise for me :) I like learning about America and differences and similarities between America and my country!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StoicLife
by Katerina on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:08 AM

I will agree.  I come a across interesting characters in my line of work so Cafemom is nothing compared to real life for myself but I do find it fascinating how different everyone is, especially in terms of regional areas. 

I live about 60 miles from where i grew up (in a more rural area) and I can definitly tell the difference in terms of how people live. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

survivorinohio
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I feel that way about cafemom.  Here starting 9 yrs ago I began to forge some relationships and have the privelege of friendship with research scientists, lawyers, police officers, teachers, and other moms I have grown to truly love.  I am grateful for the opportunity!  

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this
It's always interesting to learn about different people. I know I've developed a more open minded view since joining. 10 years ago, when I heard about co-sleeping, to give an example, I would've been a judgmental bitch. After reading other women talk about it, it's still not something I would do, but I can understand and respect why others do it.
And the same goes for many other choices, beliefs and views.
Pink.Sunshine
I’m in a bad mood, but I promise I won’t take it out on my CafeMom family
Today at 10:21 AM
by Petty Princess on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:12 AM

I live in NYC and I don't find this lame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)