Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying your parents house

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

So, my husband and I have been house hunting. My parents have made subtle hints over the years that they want us to buy their house, but I've never given it any thought because I didn't like the thought of going back to my hometown. As for the house, I love it. It's a beautiful house and would be perfect for our family. The kids are excited at the thought too. So ... I've come around a bit on the idea. Anyone else bought their parent's house? Are you glad you did or do you regret it? Is it hard living in a house that your parents worked so hard for? I think if we do buy my parents house -- I'll have to make some changes to make it feel like MY home. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM

I never would.  I moved 1000 miles away 21 years ago - there is nothing close to the town I grew up in for my husbands job - he could GET a good job there - it would just be a commute of 40 miles or more (with horrific traffic).

Not an issue anyway - my mom (my parents are divorced) sold the house 18 years ago.

Anonymous.13
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM
My parents wouldn't allow it. They stated in their will the home was to be sold, not to a child, and the money evenly split.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

We did but we kept it as a rental rather than living in it.  My parents held the mortgage so they received a monthly payment from us that added to their monthly income.  It was a win-win situation for us and them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:10 AM
We did. My parents had it on the market but could not sell because it was so outdated. We bought it for a reasonable price and completely redid the interior.
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM
My brother is doing a rent to own thing with my mom's house. I didn't want it. We have our own house and I have no desire to live in the area I grew up in ever again.
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM
I wouldn't, but that's because my hometown has no jobs in it and it's about an hour from dhs work and he just doesn't like the commute, especially in the winter.
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM
My parents bought a new house every 5 years when I grew up. Where my mom lives now I've never lived. I don't see DH ever wanting his childhood home. Too many memories of his mom would sadden him. We've barely been there since she passed 7 years ago. That's kind of on his dad though as he doesn't invite us over much. He prefers to come to us.

If you love the home and your parents want you to have it, you should.
143myboys9496
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM

I know someone who bought her dad's house. When she started making changes he'd say things like "do you know how much that cost me to put in?" or 'what are you doing to my house?" 

She'd say she was reminding him...almost frequently...that 'dad, it's not your house anymore.' 

Which is why my mother said 'no' to buying her parents house. Because (knowing my grandmother as I do now, she's right) as my mother said "it'll never be MY house, it'll always be YOUR house."

Just keep that in mind. Any changes you make, they may squawk but it's YOUR house now, not theirs. 

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Nope. It's not my childhood home, for one, and I am disowned. I also hate their house. I don't like the layout or the location.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AvantGardener
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Here's a bump. I misread the title.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)