Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for Black women

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
I'm terribly sheltered, and from a predominantly white farming community. The only African American in my school district (the whole time she was there K-12) was my adopted sister.

Due to this, I've seen the unfortunate side of racism much too often. We had crosses burnt in our yard when we moved there (and my sister was an infant). My sister has been spit on and called terrible names.

My question is this- is there as much racism towards white people within African American communities? I've always been treated very kindly by anyone I've met, but I've always wondered if behind closed doors there was as much ignorance and hatred as there is with white communities.

Wanted to add, not everyone in my community is like this. We had just as many kind and loving people embrace my sister as the bitter ones.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Racism is systematic. Whites aren't being discriminated against....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Where I live there really isn't any racism against whites or blacks.  All are treated the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Racism in black communities towards whites is far more violent, but no less damaging emotionally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM

I live in a mixed neighborhood (mostly black and Arabic) and have been shown nothing but kindness. I'm sorry people were so awful to you. 

virtuoso
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I am white and have been attacked by black people because of it. People of other races are targets of racism as well. Not just blacks and not just whites.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Absolutely. I'm white and used to teach in an elementary school in a neighborhood with few white people; about 70% black, 10% white, and 20% other like Hispanic and Asian. I got racist and classist comments daily just walking from the subway station to the school because I was white and dressed professionally. I was teaching their kids and volunteering in a program at the local university in the evenings for urban youth that gave them guaranteed acceptance and scholarships yet a lot of people in the neighborhood still felt it was perfectly acceptable to insult and harass me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Since when?

My brother and I were the only white people in our school and neighborhood growing up. The most violence we ever encountered was the girls in elementary school who LOVED touching my hair.

Our mom was Miss Suzy the cat lady and everyone adored our family.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Racism in black communities towards whites is far more violent, but no less damaging emotionally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM
And? Do you think that your experience is the ONLY experience?

Quoting Anonymous 7: Since when?

My brother and I were the only white people in our school and neighborhood growing up. The most violence we ever encountered was the girls in elementary school who LOVED touching my hair.

Our mom was Miss Suzy the cat lady and everyone adored our family.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Racism in black communities towards whites is far more violent, but no less damaging emotionally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM
I never implied we were being discriminated against. I know we are not. I was asking about hating people based on their skin color

Quoting Anonymous 2: Racism is systematic. Whites aren't being discriminated against....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM

You ever hear of Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson? Yes, there is as much ignorance and racism within the black community, if not even more towards white people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)