Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I am thinking of starting my own "business" shopping for people who cant. People who are disabled, have anxiety about leaving home or just plain out to busy to do their own shopping (meaning grocery shopping and any other needs) what do you think a fair price would be taking in consideration fuel prices and everything?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:28 AM
You need to do extensive market research from legitimate sources, none of which include CafeMom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:30 AM

there is no other business like it around here to compair with. However we have many elderly and disabled who live around here. 

Quoting smorgan865: You need to do extensive market research from legitimate sources, none of which include CafeMom.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Realistically, people who are disabled are on a fixed budget so you'll need to do some research to see if it is even viable. I would start with SBA.gov. to see what resources they have and maybe they can point you in the direction you need for your marketing research.  Your local government might be able to help too.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Market research isn't always comparing apples to apples. Learn your demographic. Their income, programs they currently have access to, what those services do/don't provide, how would you reach said people? etc. Laws, rules, regulations regarding such services (maybe they don't exist in your area for a reason). Services that do exist like this in other areas, how are they run? How much do they charge?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

there is no other business like it around here to compair with. However we have many elderly and disabled who live around here. 

Quoting smorgan865: You need to do extensive market research from legitimate sources, none of which include CafeMom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM

I think this might not be a huge money maker.  Lots of folks who can't shop for themselves are on a limited income and can't afford to pay super well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM
They have that. It's not very popular at all. I live in the snowbird state.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Alot of grocery stores have local delivery services already for the elderly and disabled.

Eta it's also very possible they may have a nurse or aid coming in to help that does the grocery and errand running also
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM

There's a service here called InstaCart. Maybe you could look them up and check out their models. Honestly, they charge a little too much for my liking, or else I would use them. I don't mind the flat fees, but the mark-ups on the groceries, which are tax-free in my state, are way too high. They're charging almost double for some things, like bread.

Tinse
by Crazy Bird Lady on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Our town has a volunteer organization that includes shopping for the elderly/disabled at no charge.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:55 AM
A friend used to do that years ago but she didn't charge much. I think it kind of worked out to about $10 a hour so if it took her three hours to get their list & go get their things & bring them, it was $30. Not much but it supplemented her income & she could take her kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)