Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dogs and children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
We have 2 kids, 5 and almost 19 months. After we bought our house, we decided we wanted a dog for our oldest. BILs dog was pregnant so we claimed the only female. We took her home last Christmas when she was 10 weeks old. Our youngest was 3 months old at the time. Instead of our dog getting attached to our oldest, she really bonded with our baby.

Now they are inseparable. Our youngest will sneak his snacks to her and even pour milk out of his bottle for her. We always tell him no but he'll pretend he's going to eat his snack, hide it, and then lead her over. They also take naps together. If she's out in the yard, he'll look out the door and call her name. His first word was "Dixie," our dog's name.

Does anyone else have a child with a dog as a best friend?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

For some reason facebook won't go all the way to the current picture of my son and my parents dog. But the top one was a current one of my daughter.

He's been by her side since she been born.

Then he has also been around my son since he was born also.

My dad says Goofball (my parent dog) misses them like crazy since dh and I and the kids moved out.
cbkmom3
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM

When my youngest was a toddler, we got a Timberwolf-German Shepard. DH had one growing up, and wanted his son to experience it. She was literally the best dog we ever had. Being part wolf, she immediately bonded with our son, who was the youngest and weakest. She protected him, and I think I could have sent them around the block together, by themselves, and Timber would have brought him back completely unscathed. We lost her a few years ago, and it just about killed us all, especially my son, who had grown up with her by his side.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM

That was our intention when we got our dog. However she decided she was going to be a daddies girl. She likes DS, but didn't bond super close to him. She does get anxiety though if he is away from her and she can't get to him. For instance, we can't take them to the park together. If he is off playing, she will just sit and bark and pull trying to get to him. She also doesn't like it when he's on his bike.

Melsmonkeys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM
I see that as being part dog she didn't completely tear up your child. Wolves don't value weakness. A weakling would be killed in a wolf pack.

Quoting cbkmom3:

When my youngest was a toddler, we got a Timberwolf-German Shepard. DH had one growing up, and wanted his son to experience it. She was literally the best dog we ever had. Being part wolf, she immediately bonded with our son, who was the youngest and weakest. She protected him, and I think I could have sent them around the block together, by themselves, and Timber would have brought him back completely unscathed. We lost her a few years ago, and it just about killed us all, especially my son, who had grown up with her by his side.

cbkmom3
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Actually, wolves will pick out the weakest member of the pack/family and protect it, and guard it. DH said the one he had growing up was the same way. He attached himself to dh's younger sister, and was her protector. It had nothing to do with the other breed Timber was.

Quoting Melsmonkeys: I see that as being part dog she didn't completely tear up your child. Wolves don't value weakness. A weakling would be killed in a wolf pack.
Quoting cbkmom3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Not true. 

Quoting cbkmom3:

Actually, wolves will pick out the weakest member of the pack/family and protect it, and guard it. DH said the one he had growing up was the same way. He attached himself to dh's younger sister, and was her protector. It had nothing to do with the other breed Timber was.

Quoting Melsmonkeys: I see that as being part dog she didn't completely tear up your child. Wolves don't value weakness. A weakling would be killed in a wolf pack.
Quoting cbkmom3:

cbkmom3
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Completely true.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Not true. 

Quoting cbkmom3:

Quoting cbkmom3:

Linemanmomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM
My mom had a husky, he was about 6 mon the old when she got him. He bonded fast and totally to my dd and my niece. I have a 3 month old niece now as well,and he is even more protective of her. If she so much as whimpers he comes running to give her kisses. The hilarious part is that makes her even madder and he doesn't understand why kisses don't fix it. My American Bulldog would do anything for ds and dd, she's actually let dd use her as a pillow.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM
It is true, but so are you. It's a tie.

'"Just like human families, individual wolf families vary. Why do I say "wolf family"? Because in the wild, most packs are composed of family members.

A normal pack supports the weaker members by bringing them food and by defending them from larger predators.

Under some circumstances, though, wolf packs have driven out or killed a sick, injured or aged member. These are usually packs that are under severe environmental stress or packs that have allowed a non-relative to hang out with them."

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Not true. 

Quoting cbkmom3:

Quoting cbkmom3:

Melsmonkeys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM
No. Wolves won't even let the weaker members of the pack breed and if they do they immediately kill the cubs. Weakness is a hindrance to a wolf pack German Shepherds are a protective breed of dog and that instinct took over. That's even if the dog was part wolf. The levels of hoops a person has to jump through to get an actual wolf hybrid is insane. There won't be people selling them on Craigslist.

Quoting cbkmom3:

Quoting cbkmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)