Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should My Parents Pay For Our Tickets?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM
  • 286 Replies
My DF's brother is getting married in June and we might not be able to afford to make the trip to attend. We live in SC and his family lives in Michigan. We're not doing great finance wise because I'm currently disabled due to several surgeries and have been out of work for a while and DF quit his second job which was where our "play money" was coming from. We're not starving or anything but we certainly couldn't afford air fare for just the two of us, let alone the two kids as well. We MIGHT be able to afford to drive, just the two of us, and leave the kids with my parents but that's only if there's no surprise expenses between now and then.

DF's parents have offered to have his dad drive down and get all of us for the wedding and drive us back afterwards but my DD has a lot of problems and neither her or her brother could handle a 15+ hour car ride squished in the backseat of his parents tiny car. And to be perfectly honest, I couldn't either. I'm pretty claustrophobic and couldn't be in a car that long. Plus we still wouldn't be able to afford a hotel and their house is WAY to small to accommodate the kids. I told DF he is more than welcome to go with them alone but he's refusing to go without me.

Now, the thing is, parents are very well off and have a ton of frequent flyer miles we could use to go if they would let us. My mom and I are actually using some to see my aunt and uncle (Mom's brother who is kind of sick) in Texas at the end of April, which is what stared this whole post. DF's soon to be SIL saw my post on Facebook about that trip and fliped the fuck out on DF about why we could afford for me to go Texas but not to their wedding. DF explained to her that he wasn't going to Texas, just my mom and I, and my mom was paying for the trip and using her miles for the tickets. SIL then demanded to know why we couldn't just use my parents frequent flyers miles to come to the wedding. DF explained that he didn't feel comfortable asking my parents to do that, especially since he still owes them money for buying us emergency plane tickets home last summer when we were visiting his family and DF made us miss our flight because he left his cell phone in the rental car.

SIL continued to flip out and say how unfair it was that I get to see my family and DF doesn't and I'm horridly selfish and I should cancel my trip to Texas if DF can't come to the wedding. Now, I'm not even sure if my parents WOULD let us use their miles even if DF was willing to ask and canceling my trip would do nothing. While we saw his family just last summer, I haven't seen my aunt and uncle since my cousin's funeral two years ago so I'm definetly going. While I will really feel awful if he misses his brother's wedding, me missing out on seeing my family when I don't have to just seems ridiculous.

So what do y'all think? Should my parents pay for our tickets just because they can afford to? And will it be selfish of me if I get to go see my family if he doesn't?
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:31 AM
30 moms liked this
Its not SIL's business what your mom does for you. I wouldn't even dream of asking my parents to pay, ever, and especially not while already owing them money. Their financial status has nothing to do with it.
tattooed_mom89
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM
4 moms liked this
If you can't afford it you shouldn't go.
Also the sister needs to but out
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM
28 moms liked this
Honestly, I think the best solution is for your df to go without you. He'll survive without you for a few days. Tell him to put on his big boy panties and do what's best for everyone.
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Can't just your husband go and share a hotel room with his parents?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:37 AM
4 moms liked this

She is being ridiculous. It is not the same and your parents are not obligated to your df or his family. His family should halp him if they want him there. Like you said he can o without you. It would be his choice not to go. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:39 AM
4 moms liked this

She is a cunt for thinking she has a right to tell people what they can do with their money, and she is wrong. If she wants to be mad at anyone, she should be mad at your DF for not wanting to go without you. 

I would not even consider bringing it up to my family, and I would be sure to keep this woman at a distance, since she has a serious problem with entitlement.

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this

It would be incredibly rude to ask your parents to pay for you to go.  It's awesome your mom is able to take you with her to Texas.  Either your DF goes without you after his dad drives out, or you just don't go.  SIL needs to butt out.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM
4 moms liked this

Your DH should just go without you.  It's seems like the easiest solution plus it's not your parent's responsibility to pay for your family to attend your DH's family wedding.  Your soon-to-be SIL is being rude to even suggest that your parents to that.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this
No, your parents shouldn't pay for your trip. Your future SIL sounds like an entitled bitch. Who the hell thinks someone is obligated to pay for someone else just because they have it?! I can't believe the shit I read on here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)