Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle age career change

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
My brother has worked in retail for years, recently finally got a management level job. Now he's tired of retail and wants to leave but doesn't know what to do next. I've offered suggestions but most of them require going back to school (he has a BA in biology) which he scoffs at.
What are some random suggestions you all have?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM
I went back to school for a career change at the age of 38.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:56 AM
What for? What did you do before that?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I went back to school for a career change at the age of 38.
cbkmom3
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM
I'm back in school at age 51 getting my Masters in Christian Counseling.
cbkmom3
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Oh, and I too was in retail for several years. I can understand the desire to get out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM
I went back to school for culinary arts at 33/34. Unfortunately, my stbx and I seperated and I ended up back in the career I had before (I can make more money) so the degree and money was a waste.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM
That's interesting. Not for him but I've often thought about becoming a counselor. I'm not sure I'd be patient enough for it.

Quoting cbkmom3: I'm back in school at age 51 getting my Masters in Christian Counseling.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I turned 50 a few months ago and I'm considering a change myself.  I just don't know what to yet.

cbkmom3
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM
I've always been the person others come to for advice,to talk, to pray with. It's something I've always treasured. I really want to open my own practice, but recently I'm feeling a pull towards working with vets. Dh is a Vietnam vet, and I've seen what he and other vets go through. So it's also something that is very near and dear to my heart.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's interesting. Not for him but I've often thought about becoming a counselor. I'm not sure I'd be patient enough for it.

Quoting cbkmom3: I'm back in school at age 51 getting my Masters in Christian Counseling.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:20 PM
I was a paralegal and now getting a degree in finance.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What for? What did you do before that?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I went back to school for a career change at the age of 38.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)