Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid proofing Charlotte's web

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:39 PM
  • 32 Replies
So today I'm at my consultants job (for those who dont know, when not running my own business, i assist other daycares in program set up and creating curriculums) and the teachers I'm working with want to do a theme around Charlotte's web. Because God forbid, 4 and 5 yr. Olds find out Bacon comes from a pig, upper management wants the curriculum kid proofed, but the whole idea of the story is that Wilbur is going to die without Charlotte's help, so I'm stuck, any ideas?
I get it, to a point, but seriously, we live in farm country, half these kids have probably watched, if not already participated in, killing a farm animal for meat. My 4 yr. Old son talks about being a farmer like daddy and grandaddy and is already asking when we can kill the chickens we just got, f.y.I, they are still the size of a baseball, my son may be a little over eager to kill something. This is a minor concern.
So, any ideas to dumb this shit down? Also a tip, careful if you Google the words Charlotte's web and kids at work because a LOT of shit pops up about the benefits of giving your kids weed. Wtf?
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this
No ideas. We don't hide the fact that animals die for people's meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Can't Charlotte simply become the pig's friend because she recognizes how lonely he is?

My mom read the book to me and my sister when I was in preschool and that's what I thought the book was about.
bethanymommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM
I would just say he was going to be sent to a different farm or something.
As a former pre k teacher and parents to young children, that "upper management" is way to uptight.
Nothing wrong with how it is lol
muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Ask if you cam switch the theme to Animal Farm.
young_lv_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:46 PM
The best I have is instead of him being killed he is being sold and they don't want him to leave.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:46 PM
Lol I have no idea. Meat comes from animals. That's the concept that moves the story along. I'd suggest they pick another story.

I think Charlottes Web is a strain of weed.
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:47 PM
There is a strain of weed called charlottes web.

I'd focus on the friendship theme in the book but I'd also question the idiot management
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:49 PM

yeah, I wouldn't want to try to sanitize the story... like you said, the whole point is that he will die without Charlotte's help... he will be bacon...

Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not change it to the farmer will sell him, and he will be away from his friends?

I don't know. I never saw the point in child proofing child stories. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)