Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hilarious cases of mistaken identity

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM
  • 17 Replies
A friend's Facebook post about being mistaken as a Hobby Lobby employee reminded me about something that happened about 24 years ago. DS was about 3 years old at the time and we had memberships to local small amusement park. He was napping in his stroller while DH and I played video games in the arcade. It was pretty crowded and I was pushing DS around looking for DH when this woman came up to me waving money in my face and telling me to make change for her. I told her I didn't have change and pointed over to the booth where you exchange tickets for prizes and told her that perhaps they could help her. She pointed to my fanny pack and demanded that I make change for her. I kept trying to explain to her that I did not have change and she said she was going to get me fired. Turns out that she thought I worked there. Apparently my shorts outfit covered with neon cactuses didn't seem any different to her from the amusement park's uniform of khaki pants and a red Polo shirt to her. She kept pointing at my fanny pack and yelling that she knew I worked there because I had "that around your waist". She even went up to the counter and started pointing at me and screaming that they need to needed to fire me.

So now that I've shared my story share yours
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Whoops!

i am a 30something second generation business owner of a business that is more than 50 years old- woohoo us. 

Anyways, I was in line at our store when I saw the manager pointing me out to a customer. Sometimes the employees do that and I just go about my business because I'm just there as a customer too and I like the little anonymity I have. Anyways I hear the customer say to the manager "oh really? I would have never guessed." I assumed she either meant I was young to be the owner or I was in street clothes and looked like any mom shopping with her two kids.

So the customer walks up to the check lane and is waiting for the cashier to finish my order. Cashier is new, I never saw her before, maybe 45-60 years old and in the nicest way I can describe her, looks like she had quite a hard life which is why it's hard for me to even guess her age.

My order finishes and I'm packing up my things the customer approaches the cashier and starts telling her how much she loves the store, is good friends with the manager, and how she always buys X,Y, & Z, keep up the good work kind of thing. Another employee walks by, sees me, and smirks, realizing what happened and the older cashier was like "Why'd that lady say those things to me? So weird!"

Then I left wondering...really? The customer thought he was pointing to the cashier vs me? Aaaah! Maybe I should have taken a closer look in the mirror that day if it was a toss up between the two of us. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
A few years ago when my mom still had a house phone her phone number was one number off from the local humane society. Usually people would ask is this the humane society and my mom (or whoever answered) would just say wrong number and that was that. One day though I answered the phone and some woman was on the other end screaming "GIVE ME BACK MY DOG. YOU HAVE MY DOG YOU FUCKING THEIVES!!!!!" I had no clue at first what was going on. I kept saying I'm sorry but we don't have your dog. She was just screaming and cussing at me. It finally clicked and I was like "lady this isn't the freaking humane society" and I hung up. She ended up calling back twice crying and screaming. It was crazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a social worker one time call a shelter because my parents said they were kicking me out and I had no where to go. She gave the person my full name and my sons name and our story then there was a pause and she said "oh, this isn't the X shelter?" And hung up. I was livid. Not so hilarious, though.

I do remember a news story about a man who fit a letter delivered sternly telling his parents that he needed to be enrolled in public shill for kindergarten. Guess someone hadn't looked at the birth year because he wasn't 5, he was 105! Lol
sha_lyn68
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:39 PM
Growing up, my maternal grandparents number was very close to the number of one of the local funeral homes. I don't remember many of the stories, but I do remember one time when they asked for someone, I assumed they were asking if the body was there, and my grandmother said hold on here she is and handed me the phone thinking they had asked for me.

Quoting Anonymous 2: A few years ago when my mom still had a house phone her phone number was one number off from the local humane society. Usually people would ask is this the humane society and my mom (or whoever answered) would just say wrong number and that was that. One day though I answered the phone and some woman was on the other end screaming "GIVE ME BACK MY DOG. YOU HAVE MY DOG YOU FUCKING THEIVES!!!!!" I had no clue at first what was going on. I kept saying I'm sorry but we don't have your dog. She was just screaming and cussing at me. It finally clicked and I was like "lady this isn't the freaking humane society" and I hung up. She ended up calling back twice crying and screaming. It was crazy.
cookiemonster77
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Ha! The "body" can talk

Quoting sha_lyn68: Growing up, my maternal grandparents number was very close to the number of one of the local funeral homes. I don't remember many of the stories, but I do remember one time when they asked for someone, I assumed they were asking if the body was there, and my grandmother said hold on here she is and handed me the phone thinking they had asked for me.
Quoting Anonymous 2: A few years ago when my mom still had a house phone her phone number was one number off from the local humane society. Usually people would ask is this the humane society and my mom (or whoever answered) would just say wrong number and that was that. One day though I answered the phone and some woman was on the other end screaming "GIVE ME BACK MY DOG. YOU HAVE MY DOG YOU FUCKING THEIVES!!!!!" I had no clue at first what was going on. I kept saying I'm sorry but we don't have your dog. She was just screaming and cussing at me. It finally clicked and I was like "lady this isn't the freaking humane society" and I hung up. She ended up calling back twice crying and screaming. It was crazy.

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:42 PM
There's someone called Sarah who people keep mistaking me for. Never found out who it is.
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a red fleece vest that I was wearing with a white shirt and jeans and Christmas shopping with my DH at Walmart. A woman came up and asked where something was in the store...I said "I'm sorry, I don't work here!" She said, "but you have the vest!" My DH started laughing and said "They wear blue vests here, they wear red at Target but she doesn't work there, either!" The woman got really mad...I don't know what she wanted me to do!
sha_lyn68
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM
I'm trying to remember exactly what was said, but it's been about 40 years. I think they asked me if I was a family member of so-and-so, and when I said no they asked me something else and I handed the phone back to my grandmother best I can remember

Quoting cookiemonster77:

Ha! The "body" can talk

Quoting sha_lyn68: Growing up, my maternal grandparents number was very close to the number of one of the local funeral homes. I don't remember many of the stories, but I do remember one time when they asked for someone, I assumed they were asking if the body was there, and my grandmother said hold on here she is and handed me the phone thinking they had asked for me.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

DH is a Jr and because his dad has had some debts, DH has often gotten phone calls from collectors thinking he is his dad. Usually when they were told they have the wrong person, they just said thank you and took the number off their list. However one time I got a really rude lady. I answer the phone.

Her: Is John Smith there?

Me: No. Can I take a message?

Her: Is this Mrs. Smith?

Me: Yes.

Her: This is Jane from ABC. I'm calling in regards to a debt your husband owes on XYZ.

Me: I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number.

Her: Your husband is John Smith right?

Me: Yes, but he doesn't have any account with XYZ company.

Her: How would you know what kind of accounts he has?

Me: Well I've been with him since he was 18 and old enough to legally agree to any sort of accounts.

Her: I'm sure you dont know everything he does.

Me: As I said, you have the wrong number. He has not done business with that company.

Her: Are the last four of his SS# 1234?

Me: No it is not.

...... CLICK.....

I was pissed at how she spoke to me, but also laughed about it later. There have been a few other times people have tried to demand that we give them FIL's information as well, but we just blow them off.

mhaney03
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I was wearing my apron from my job at the bookstore while on break in walmart and this woman asked me where something is, i said i don't know i don't work here and she got all ignorant at me.  I was like do you even know where the hell you are lady?

Also, my daughter was the same age as caylee anthony when she disappeared and they looked like twins.  Before they found the child's body, we were pointed at and approached and whispered about in public A LOT.  I was in another state at the time and when the news broke of the missing child, my phone started ringing and at least 6 people from back home called me to make sure I had my daughter and she wasn't missing/kidnapped with a new name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)