Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I used to be that mom that woman

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
Who didn't believe in putting children on meds, who saw a kid acting up in a store and say that kid needs an ass whooping and discipline.

Until I became the mom with children with issues.
I was told when my dd was 4 she has adhd. I was that mom who said I am not doping my kid up. At 6 I finally broke down and placed her on meds.

Years later I was told my son has adhd. I refuse meds at first I wa told he has adhd and ODD. 2nd grade 2 years later I placed him on meds.

I used to believe therapy was a crock of shit now I have two teens in therapy. My son doesn't have adhd and ODD, He is supposed to have adhd and dmdd, same with my dd she has other issues too, that didn't become noticeable until the teen years.. Both are on meds.

I see this stuff talked about on here. Mom's saying some of the exact stuff I used to say until I dealt with it and my whole opinion and outlook changed. All of the research in the world will never make you understand until you have dealt with it. I saw how my children disorders affected them in day to day life, which is why I eventually chose to go the med route. I have a bff who still feel the way I used to feel about these subjects. I won't discuss my kids with her because of her judgment.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:18 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Some people still choose to remain ignorant to mental health issues. Fortunately for your children, you're now willing to accept that mental illnesses are real, and most do need some form of medication and/or therapy to manage or heal. My son suffers from major depressive disorder and anxiety disorder, and finding the right meds, and the right therapist has saved his life, because his illness brought him to a place of wanting to commit suicide, and now, he's healthy and his disorders are controlled. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:37 PM
Bump
MysticLove
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:41 PM
I used to say the same. After 4 years of my youngest anger issues I agreed to try it. 2 years later on the right dosage, he is so much happier. Not drugged acting, but like a normal kid. He still gets mad, but at more appropriate levels and reactions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Me too and now I get it. I can't wait to put my LO on something because we can't live like this anymore. I totally get it and I don't care how awful I sound. 

Docgirl2000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM
I don't disagree with meds. My opinion is that meds should be a last resort after all other therapies, etc have been exhausted. I just feel that sometimes meds are over prescribed.

You're children are very lucky to have you for their mother. Willing to put change your opinion in order to do what's best for your children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:53 PM
This post makes me want to cry. I have five children and all but one are well behaved, kind, loving, well mannered children. I don't know what to do with my one. He's 4.5 now but he's been like this since he was two... It's not passing. In fact, it's far beyond terrible twos and trying threes. It's far beyond what I can grasp. We took him to the doctor and she tested for diabetes and thyroid issues saying that an make him over emotional but all of his blood work came back fine. She did recommend child psychologist though.

Any advice on what I should do or what I should look for in a therapist?
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:55 PM
I think that meds can sometimes be useful and I have seen children in whom they made a huge difference. I think they are way over prescribed and used too quickly a lot of times.
amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM
I was that mom, too. Then real life hit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:58 PM
Hugs
I didn't put my ds on med til he was 10. My dd @7.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)