Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think this is a bad idea!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
My mom wants to put me on her account. Again. We bank at the same bank and I still go by my maiden name so the bank got our accounts a little mixed up last time. They put her savings on my online banking. The amounts that were in them at the time were similar so I thought it was my savings. My savings was not on my online account. I used some of the money thinking it was mine. When I realized I put all of the money back although it took a couple of months. The bank told her I stole it and told her to take my name off her account. Now she has decided that she wants to put me back on again and I don't want to do it. She is afraid that something will happen to her and she will need to get money out but won't be able to.

Maybe I can talk my sister into doing it.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM
I would never do that even if it is a family member
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Be on someone else's account or put them on yours?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would never do that even if it is a family member
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:09 PM
I have my name on all of my Mother's accounts, so when she dies it defaults to me and won't be tied up. I completely trust my Mom and vice versa.
tbulone
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:09 PM
Have her add you as a pod or payable on death that way if something happens you only need the death certificate to access the money. Or have her draw up a power of attorney. That way if shes ill and needs you to access the account you can do so with that paper work. Or just sit down with the teller and make sure that they understand that your account and her account should never be linked online
Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Nope. Never ever

PogoPalOj
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM

It sounds like trouble to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM

She can put you on as a power of attorney, and you wont have online access.

I strongly doubt the bank said you STOLE her money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I like those ideas and yeah I was going to be really proactive about making sure they stayed separate. The whole thing pissed me off so bad. I should have never had access to her account in the first place.

Quoting tbulone: Have her add you as a pod or payable on death that way if something happens you only need the death certificate to access the money. Or have her draw up a power of attorney. That way if shes ill and needs you to access the account you can do so with that paper work. Or just sit down with the teller and make sure that they understand that your account and her account should never be linked online
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:15 PM
That's what she said idk. They strongly inferred it when I signed to be taken off.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:19 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. The bank made a mistake with my account once, nothing major but they called me up and basically trying to accuse me of the mistake and not reporting it right away. I didn't even know there was a mistake at that moment. I emailed the branch manager and let him know what happened.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)