Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dairy and gluten causing my infants ear infections?! WHAT A JOKE😠🔥 ETA we got a second opinion

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
***RANT ALERT***

My 15mo has had 7 back to back ear infections in the past few months. 2 pedis and an ENT have seen him and have all said his speech/hearing/and general ear issues have been due to the way his eustachian tubes are shaped and the retention of fluid.

His ear tube surgery was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

He had his pre op today with a different ENT in office (due to our picky insurance) and this guy says.... he doesn't need tubes in his ears. His ear infections are caused by dairy and gluten. He has "food sensitivities". Didn't even look in my sons ears.... Didn't even touch my son during the "pre op". He walked in said to stop giving him a whole list of foods and cancelled his surgery. He proceeded to tell me that he needs $130 allergy drops to cure his sensitivities, which in turn cure his ear/balance/ and speech issues.

I'm. Fucking. LIVID.

Money is not an issue, and I have NO problem whatsoever switching my sons diet.... I just think it's INSANE how this whacko can spend 10 minutes in a room with my son and tell me 3 other doctors were wrong and that his issues have been caused my fucking MILK AND BREAD. ...again I'm appalled... this guy DIDN'T EVEN LOOK IN HIS EARS!

So hooray. My son now gets to suffer in pain even longer while we make an appt for a second opinion.

Ugggghhhh. 🔥🔥😠😠😠🔥🔥🔥🔥🖕🔥😠
Rant over.

We are going to humor the docs diet recommendations all while making an appt with a NEW ENT.

I still 100% feel this guy was out of line.

We got a second opinion, and the doc was shocked. He said there is absolutely no way to tell if my son has food sensitivities without giving him an allergy test. He also informed us that my sons latest infections have turned into bronchitis and sinusitis.

After examining his ears, he also informed us that they are in such a terrible state, that he is in risk of permanent hearing loss if his ears aren't suctioned out asap.

He meets with his new pedi ENT on Monday.

...anyone know how to go about reporting a doctor for negligence??
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:14 PM
Second opinion. Ear infections are not caused by food allergies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:14 PM
Ugh I AM SO MAD!!!!

my poor baby was scheduled to get fixed up tomorrow and this **shole cancels his surgery like it was no big deal.

Uggghhhh

Quoting MOM-RN: Second opinion. Ear infections are not caused by food allergies.
Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd have bitched his ass out, THEN I would have bitched out the insurance company.

Rude doesn't even come close to what that asshat did/said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM
I'd be angry too!
chefmartha
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow.... Boy I don't blame you for being pissed. Rescheduling is such a pain. I would be filing a complaint. You were there for pre-op not an opinion. He overstepped. Is he (dumba**) an ENT? Pre-op is them making sure he's not presently ill with an infection not giving an uninformed unsolicited opinion without checking your child out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My son went through months upon months of ear infections.  Put tubes in and still had issues.  He wasn't talking at 2 but no actual issues with his hearing.  Just by chance someone mentioned trying a gfdf diet so I started with milk.  He was talking in full sentences 4 days after stopping milk.  Sensitivities are different than an actual allergic reaction.  In my son's case, the sensitivities created too much mucous that when sleeping flowed into his ears.  The ear canals are lined with what should be good bacteria but because of all the meds from the infections, bad bacteria had taken over so he just kept getting an infection over and over again.  And most doctors know very little about how our bacterial systems work... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:25 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 I SWEAR. if I could go back a few hours I would have told him a MOUTHFUL.

I was just sort of shocked, as he literally walked in, glanced and my son and basically said "surgery is cancelled, it's food allergies, nothing more", and walked out.

10 minutes. He was literally in the room woth us 10 MINUTES and didn't touch my son.

I walked out and cried out of anger because of how overwhelmed I was.

My poor son gets to suffer even longer now.

Quoting Rosehawk:

I'd have bitched his ass out, THEN I would have bitched out the insurance company.

Rude doesn't even come close to what that asshat did/said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Yes, they can be. 

Allergies can cause a whole host of problems.  I grew up with a kids who had chronic ear infections and they discovred that he was allergic to corn.  They pulled corn from his diet and his ear infections went away.  This is something that is treatable if you use an elimination diet.

OP....if you think this might help give it a shot.  It would help keep your child from having to under go surgery and as  mom I would avoid that at all costs.  BTW that doctor may have seen kids in a situation like yours and just might think with a very high possibility that this is what is causing those problems.  I have come across doctors like this and they have actually been correct in their assumptions.

Quoting MOM-RN: Second opinion. Ear infections are not caused by food allergies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:27 PM

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20040622/food-allergies-may-be-linked-to-ear-infection

This is one of many articles on the topic...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:28 PM
Glad your son is better!

We're going to humor his suggested diet, but still get a second opinion.

Today was basically a slap in the face for us.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

My son went through months upon months of ear infections.  Put tubes in and still had issues.  He wasn't talking at 2 but no actual issues with his hearing.  Just by chance someone mentioned trying a gfdf diet so I started with milk.  He was talking in full sentences 4 days after stopping milk.  Sensitivities are different than an actual allergic reaction.  In my son's case, the sensitivities created too much mucous that when sleeping flowed into his ears.  The ear canals are lined with what should be good bacteria but because of all the meds from the infections, bad bacteria had taken over so he just kept getting an infection over and over again.  And most doctors know very little about how our bacterial systems work... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)