Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being my father doesn't give him the right to abuse me as an adult

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
My father and I have never really gotten along well, but he's a decent grandparent, so I've tolerated his presence in my life. No more though, and I have pressed charges against him.

We were out shopping over the weekend, we were having dinner at my parents house and my mother needed a few items, as did I so we just went together, two birds one stone kind of thing.

We saw some political signs endorsing a certain candidate (I won't say who, don't want to turn this into a political thing). My father made a few comments about how great this candidate was, how much better the country would be. I didn't respond. I don't talk politics with many people, especially him. He asked why I wasn't saying anything, and I said I don't talk politics with most people. He asked why not him, and wouldn't take no answer for an answer, so I finally told him that it was impossible to have a discussion with him, as he always gets angry, yells, and refuses to be reasonable or have a reasonable conversation and that since I absolutely didn't agree with his stances, there was no reason to get into it, and he hit me. He slapped across the face, knocking me into the shelf. Another customer saw and called 911.

This is not the first time my father has hit me, growing up he believed in physical discipline and I was hit fairly often, but he's never done it since I became an adult.

He explained it to the police that since I was his child, he had every right to discipline me when I was being so blatantly rude towards him. He got belligerent with the police as well. He's still sitting in jail right now, my mother can't afford bail.

She and my sister are livid that I pressed charges against my father. He hit me. That's a criminal offense and being my father doesn't give him any special right to abuse me.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you *hugs*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Thank you

Quoting Anonymous 2: I agree with you *hugs*
Southernmom924
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:56 PM

I don't blame you. 

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:58 PM

He asked for it. You did the right thing.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:58 PM
Your dad is a dumb ass if he thought he could slap you in public and not get arrested.
lovemysnugbugs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:59 PM
It's his own fault. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Yeah, his butt can rot in jail for a while.  I wouldn't be sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:01 PM
In Texas he would get charged with family violence since at some point you lived together. The law was expanded to include roommates. Even if was years before the incident.

Also, the victim doesn't press charges. The state does. It's because so many victims won't press charges.
Spare.Time
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Does your dad hit your mom and your sister?  Why would they think him hitting you was okay?

Gardeningmom4
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:09 PM

I would cut them all out of my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)