Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You don't understand why I'm mad?!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I've never gotten along well with my mother in law and I've never allowed her alone with the kids. My husband has always fully supported it, but today, I finally relented. The two older kids both asked to go, mil begged, dh said he'd be ok with it, but it was up to me, and I feel horrible for having said yes. Mil took the kids for about 7 hours.

They went to the beach, and both children are sun burned to the point where they are both in pain now trying to sleep and crying. They are bright red everywhere they weren't covered with clothes and my 6 year old has a few blisters even. The sun is intense here, we know this, which is why I sent sunblock with them. I put it on at home, but told mil to put it on again in an hour and after they got out of the water.

My 8 year old also stepped on a barnacle and has a deep cut on her foot. MIL didn't call ahead, didn't take her to the doctor, nothing, so we got to sit in the ER to have it cleaned and stitched since everything else was closed by time I found out.

MIL doesn't understand why I'm pissed. I told her it'd be a cold day in hell before she has the kids alone again.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:52 PM
I mean, this is really your fault if you think about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:53 PM
Yeah, she would be finished permanently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:54 PM
I know. I should have trusted my instincts that this woman is worthless when it comes to taking care of the kids. I will not make this mistake again.

Quoting Ted1242: I mean, this is really your fault if you think about it.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:54 PM
You probably shouldn't have let them go alone with her for so long if you've never left them with her before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:54 PM
She is.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yeah, she would be finished permanently.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:54 PM
Smear the kids with some aloe and remember this next time.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know. I should have trusted my instincts that this woman is worthless when it comes to taking care of the kids. I will not make this mistake again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM
They weren't supposed to have been gone that long, it was only supposed to be 4 hours, but she didn't hold to that. I didn't even get into that, or the fact that one kid came home without shoes.

Quoting mama_danetta: You probably shouldn't have let them go alone with her for so long if you've never left them with her before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM
I have, as well as some aloe with lidocaine and have given them some Tylenol. I'm almost ready to give them Benadryl to help them get to sleep. I will NOT forget this.

Quoting Ted1242: Smear the kids with some aloe and remember this next time.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know. I should have trusted my instincts that this woman is worthless when it comes to taking care of the kids. I will not make this mistake again.

PoisonEyeV
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:58 PM

How did your husband survive long enough in her care to grow up to adulthood? Jesus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely be done with letting MIL be with them alone.

BUT, at 6 and 8, some of the responsibility for self-care needs to fall on the kids themselves.  Not only should you have told MIL to reapply the sunscreen, but you should have told the kids as well.  They are more than old enough to take on some responsibility for their own self care.  Use this sunburn as a teaching moment to remind them why they need to help remember to reapply sunscreen.  Even if they can't apply it by themselves, they need to take it out of the bag and hand it to the adult.  Or help each other apply it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)