Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Church camp issues

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this
My mother is very religious. My husband and I are not. We've never really had any issues regarding this topic, but as our children are getting older my mother is becoming more vocal. Right now, she is pitching a huge fit because I refuse to send my children to spend two weeks with her at a church camp. She said she'd taken time off specifically to help out and spend more time with the kids, that she'd already paid for the kids to attend, and she'd bought their plane tickets already.

It's not my fault she made these decisions without consulting me or that she assumed I'd allow this. I'm not going to reimburse her, and I'm absolutely not sending my kids a few states away, to a camp I know nothing about, that is associated with a church we don't attend.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM

SHe shouldn't have just assumed you;ddo it. That's her own mistake and I guess she will learn from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Stand your ground. I was sent to church camp as a kid and it was insane.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM
This was apparently all arranged last month, and she just brought this up a few days ago.

Quoting two4one:

SHe shouldn't have just assumed you;ddo it. That's her own mistake and I guess she will learn from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:57 PM
I was too, and I hated it. My kids aren't religious, so I very much doubt they'd enjoy it. It's a very conservative, very religious church my mother attends, so I imagine the camp will be similar.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Stand your ground. I was sent to church camp as a kid and it was insane.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel children should be able to pick their own path in life, but not states away from two weeks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:59 PM

I wouldn't send my kids to a church indoctrination camp either.Fuck her ! I hope she is out the money. She had a lot of audacity to assume you would allow this and not ask your permission. I'd cut her off completely!

Lady_Facetious
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:59 PM
She should have checked with you instead of just assuming.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:00 PM
If my kids were older, I would let them pick, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to, since they're no more religious than I am. But they're still too young to be that far away from home for that long with people I don't know.

Quoting Ted1242: I feel children should be able to pick their own path in life, but not states away from two weeks.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:01 PM
I went to church camp as a kid and loved it. I even worked there one summer. It didn't prevent me from forming my own opinions and becoming an atheist.

That said, it was pretty stupid of her to set it all up before she talked to you about it. I guess being out that money is what she gets for assuming.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM
Absolutely and I'd have told her it wasn't going to happen.

Quoting Lady_Facetious: She should have checked with you instead of just assuming.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)