Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drunk Neighbors and HOA issues.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I have these neighbors who moved in 2 years ago down the road. I live in a private community on a private road. There are two houses past mine... theirs is the first one, about 1/4 mile down. These people are WHACKED OUT drunks. The two teenagers speed up and down, driving recklessly. One night they almost hit my other neighbors and their dog. Another time they almost hit me and the kids in my car head-on. A few months ago the girl (age 16) took the corner so fast she spun out and hit the mailbox. I nicely stopped and tried to tell her she will get hurt and she told me to F-Off. I called her mom and the mom just called me a cunt and screamed like a banchee. Another time the son was going at least 45-50mph and nearly hit my mom. The boy fessed up and apologized but his mom still called and screamed. The father now drives by yeling F-Off.

These people are NOTa part of the HOA. The bought a junk ass fixer house that is grandfathered in... and half falling down. They are allowed road access but not access to the community facilities likes park, trails, cross country skiing, and the lake and boats. They could if they paid dues but they refuse.

I have talked to the Sheriff but since it is a private road they have no juristiction. I contacted the association and was told to pick up speed bumps from the community center and I could put them out. When I got there, they were all already signed out. If I want to buy them it will cost me $600 per bump and then I have to buy a sign for each bump. Then I have to make sure the HOA will insure them for damage to any vehicles incurred on them AND increase my umbrella to 2 million.

Now I pay $350 a month in HOA due and the bylaws CLEARLY states that the HOA is responsible and liable for all maintenance and issues on the private roads. Should they not have to pay for the bumps? Should I pursue this? I have sent them 2 letters and placed 3 phone calls. I am at my wits end. Should I get a civil attorney? I am seriously in fear for my kids safety at this point. It is getting worse instead of better.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Im really surprised thst the HOA is not doing more to put a stop to it. I've never been apart of one but all I have ever heard is that they usually don't let anyone get away with anything. I would talk to a attorney to see what they suggest. If the HOA and the sheriff won't do anything in reedy not sure what you can do. Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Does your HOA have meetings?  Most of the ones I've lived under did every few months. If so, you and your other neighbors should attend in person to voice your grievances. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Ugh, I moved out of an HOA because rules were bent for those they liked and overly enforced for people they didn't. We never had any personal issues but some of our friends did.

I wish I had something to offer you, so here is a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM
It's not a maintenance issue so they are not responsible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Even if they have bumps out on over half the other roads?

Quoting Anonymous 5: It's not a maintenance issue so they are not responsible.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM

$350 a month? Holy hell I will stop bitching about $170 a month now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Bumps are not a requirement in any way shape or form.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Even if they have bumps out on over half the other roads?

Quoting Anonymous 5: It's not a maintenance issue so they are not responsible.
Kes1s
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:05 PM

If you want the HOA to pay for it you have to do it up with the official presentation.  Come to a meeting, make a motio0 - give your official presentation, bring someone to second it, see what happens.  They very likely will say yes.

eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Another reason to hate HOA's!
They ride your ass for wrong color patio furniture (my previous one did), but on serious life threatening events they can't find their ass to figure out how to deal with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:16 PM
Is the house ever unoccupied?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)